Do you know any non-Hispanic people named Jesus?

My stepfather's family are Spanish and I grew up knowing a few people named Jesus (although it's pronounced 'Hey Suess'. Is it blasphemy to name your son after the Messiah of the Bible? If not, why don't more people do it?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I do! I know a man, who is a friend of my Grandmother, who's name is Jesus Zeus.

I guess his parents wanted to make sure they got it right and named him after both a Christian & a Pagan deity, just in case! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Definition-1.
    a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
    b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
    2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

I do not believe naming a child Jesus would fall under these. You do not believe your child is Jesus (or at least I hope not) or the equal of God. Plus no where in the Bible does it say you shall not name your child Jesus. It only says do not use the Lord's name in vain which to me means no using it to swear with or to use in a form of mockery.

But that is just my opinion; that and a dollar won't get you a coffee.
    CelticMom82

Answer by CelticMom82 at 11:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• i know many heysus's but I've only met one Jesus in my life time he was Black. I remember thinking it was weird because i had never heard anyone but Spanish people use that name.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 11:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• No because the name comes from the same root as Jess, Jesse, Joshua. Now the name Christ is more of a title, The Christ. And I would find that offensive.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2009

• nah i dnt think its blasphemy..my bros name is Jesus.....i dont believe he is God either(lol) although that is a good qestion about why other races dont name thier children that
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Oh, I also met a guy who's first name was Christ...

Yes, Christ, and I made him prove it. It was actually on his drivers license that way.

Funny part - He's Pagan! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Hey Sabrina, I have known a few people who were named Christ, but they didn't pronounce it like people say "Jesus Christ" it was as if you were shortening Christopher (like Indiana, India). They were German and Dutch and one was actually named Christ the other was short for Christoph.

Amlimommy

Answer by Amlimommy at 6:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• This is something I have always wondered about. I have met only Latinos named Jesus (Chucho).

Anglo Catholics have told me that you can't name your kid that, but Latinos are Catholics, too, and it's okay for them. Go figure.

They usually end up being called Chucho anyway.
    diospira

Answer by diospira at 9:46 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Well, he's Hispanic, but my husband's middle name is Jesus and his first name is Randy =) HORNY JEESUS!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's kind of like the name Guadalupe too or Virgen...Latinos just seem to have a very tight connection to their religion. My granny and her sibilings all have Biblical names Virginia (my g-gma didn't like the name Virgen), Ana Maria (St. Anne and the Virgin Mary), Catherine (St. Catherine), and Joseph (the obvious). My husband's aunts are kind of the same way Esther Maria (after Esther and Mary), Milagros (it means miracle), and Lourdes (the French city of mircles). If you look at the roots of a lot of commons names they are Biblical you know John, Paul, Joseph, Matthew, Luke...everyone does it but I think people notice it with Latinos more because you don't put to much thought into a man named John where as with a woman with the name Virgen you have to ask.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009