Live vs. Fake

Do you prefer live Christmas trees or fake? I have always had a real tree mostly for the smell but boyfriend wants to get a fake one this year. Is there any ideas on how to get a fake tree but still have the smell of " Christmas" in the house?

ISLUVZOLIVIA

Asked by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 11:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• I have 2 fakes up bc I am allergic to real...
    to get the smell you can buy pine/christmas tree spray or candles...
    You can also bring in live wreaths or garlands to your home if you are doing a fake
    tree do a real wreath or garland.... or maybe a real table top center piece of pine greenery
    and candles...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I love live trees but living in a small apartment we have had a small fake tree.I usually burn a candle.
    preciouschild

Answer by preciouschild at 12:15 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I love the real tree too, but we're a military family, so it makes more sense to have the fake one. This year, hubby's gone. It would be insane for me to try to go get one and lug it up into the house and set it up by myself. Plus, I'm going to see family for three weeks, and we're celebrating after Christmas when he gets home. So this way, I can set the tree up after Thanksgiving and just leave it up while I'm gone, come home and have everything ready for Christmas!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We always have a live on no matter what. Even if it's small table top one. I love the smell of Christmas trees.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 5:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My dh is allergic to real tries. We have a Christmas tree scented Yankee candle that smells like real tree- it's nice for the holidays!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We get a real tree that is in a pot so that we can plant it after the new year. That way we get the smell but don't just kill a tree for no reason.

If you want the smell get an air freshener or a candle. There are lots of wonderful winter and holiday fragrances out there. You can also get scented oils. They have these things that have a place for the candle on the bottom and on top there is a reservoir for the oils. Light the t-light underneath and the heat releases the fragrance into the air.

Experiment with lots of different scents and have fun with it until you find a favorite :)
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It erks me to cut down a real tree. I know the tree is coming from a farm(or what do you call it?) lol My hubby likes the experience of cuttin your own tree.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 11:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We have a fake tree, always will. To make it smell "like Christmas" I have a scentsy warmer. It's a ceramic two piece "pot" the bottom has a light bulb and the top is like a bowl. You put a low melting point wax in the top and plug it in. One to two cubes of wax will make my entire house smell wonderful and it never gets hot enough to burn anyone in case of a spill. They are great and there are a lot of options, even "off brand" types at walmart, target, etc.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I like the fake trees. I just can't justify cutting down a living tree for a few weeks on decoration in my living room. To have the Christmas scents I use candles.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I used to do fake trees, but there's so much harmful stuff in the plastics they use to make them I don't want my kids exposed to. We started buying live last year and we love it. The smell is great, the cleanup is SO easy, they're so full that I don't have to arrange branches to fill out the tree like I did even with our really expensive fake one. When we did fake trees, I would buy the Yankee candles in like Balsam and Fir scent or something similar, whatever was out that year. The Yankee candles seem to have the best "tree" smell.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2009