I'm sure this has been asked but help me understand please!?

Im a christian and with all of my insides believe there is a God and the end of the world will come on a day unknown to all and be unexpected. I just cant wrap my finger aound why people believe the end will come in 2012? Its all over the tv and im unsure what its all about. I know the mayan calender ends in 2012 but what else?? So confused!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• HaHa... I'm FAR from Christian and I don't get it either. In fact the Mayans don't even believe that way. There has been numerous stories about this on our news because supposedly Pittsburgh is the place where the prophecies are to be fulfilled! But the thing is that the present day Mayans believe the calendar does NOT end on 12-12-2012. They said recently that the calendar is able to be flipped at that point and restarts. Now, I don't have all the details, I'm not Mayan, nor do I pretend to understand their calendar, beliefs of culture, but I think this whole thing is just another ploy to sell movie tickets, books and make WAY to much money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• its the stupidest thing ive ever heard of NOBODY but God knows when the world is going to end
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 12:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• A great deal of it is hype by the media and there is a movie so that has stirred people up. Plus people love this kind of stuff, remember Y2K?

So I just ignore the hype and go on.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• tHATS WHY I TURNED MY CABLE OFF WATCH SHOWS ON YOUR COMPUTER OR NETFLIX MEIDA JAMS SO MUCH CRAP DOWN YOUR THROAT I PERSONALLY COULDNT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!tHELIBRARY ALSO HAS TV SHOWS AND MOVIES. GOD BLESS YOU AN NO WORRIES BE HAPPY
    lilobrat

Answer by lilobrat at 1:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HALS7NVeGs
    watch this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• As "believers" we do not know the day or the hour when the world will end, however we have been given a big "heads up" on the end times- a time that many believe we are in or are close to entering.

2012 coincides with a couple of things like the end of the Mayan calendar and an aligning of the planets, etc that indicate the possibilty we could live through a great change in our world. I don't personally believe 2012 is the end of the world and life on it, but I do believe we will very likely see dramatic change that will bring an end to the world as we know it now.

IMO it is not something to be afiraid of so much as to prepare for. Even if the year comes and goes with nothing happening what harm is there in being prepared?
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 5:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I don't get it either... it's due to the end of the Mayan calendar, but seeing as how the Mayans themselves did not believe that was the end of the world I really can't understand why we think that it is! I think that people are interested in these kinds of doomsday predictions and thus some people have taken this 'theory' and are running with it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Because there is money to be made!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• That's just it - "they" (media, mostly - and some over-zealous religious *cults*) don't WANT you to understand.

They say The Mayan calendar ends on that day... and then go into all these possible outcomes. They KNOW that the majority of people are so busy with their own little lives or just plain lazy & so won't take the time & put forth the effort TO understand.

Only people who have studied Mayan civilization & culture (or at least have gotten their information from these scholars rather than the latest prime time special) are really going to 'get' it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Because there's money to be made and fear to be spread. Too many people are too lazy to do their own goddamn research. My own mother said "IT'S A CODE IN THE BIBLE!" Uh, no, Mom. No it's not.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:22 AM on Nov. 24, 2009