how long would you like to breastfeed?

personally i love the bond, but there has to be a cut off at some point, dr's say for at least 2 yrs. i might, if i do probably only at night for bed time, or just pump for nutrition reasons. because that's toddler age not baby. but they are our young.

Hesmynavyman

Asked by Hesmynavyman at 1:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im going to breast feed till 2 but after 1 i think i will put it in bottles it really depends on how i feel at that point with teething and such but i love that bond it's great really makes me feel more of a mother than a mommy if you get me
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 1:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• When toddlers nurse they usually one do it a few times a day. Most 2 yr olds or older only nurse in the morning or at night. I would have a problem with it if my toddler wanted to nurse like a newborn, but they never do. They're too busy running around.
    You can teach a baby to not bite you. It's not hard. You just take away the breast and say ouch every time they start to bite down, you'll feel it before it starts to hurt. They learn pretty quickly that the food gets taken away when you hurt mommy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We're still going at 19.5 months, I want to make it till 2 years. We're down to once a day (her doing not mine!) so I don't know if we'll get to 2 or not :( Even if she was more into it I wouldn't see myself wanting to go past 2.5 or 3 years max, but that's just me and I haven't had to wean a child before so I can't say for sure what I'd do.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• until 2 or 3. ...three would probably be my max. I have an almost 4 year old SS and i can't imagine what it would be like nursing a child that old.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• till at least 2yrs, probably longer. My middle child weaned at 2 1/2
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 1:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i cut at 'sharp' 1yr w/ xtra 1 month for weaning. that's bc i exclusively pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I would like to go to at least 2. Lil is almost 17 months now with no sign of slowing down. To the ones who say they will pump after a year... good luck! I can't pump a drop! I know I have milk in there but only my girl can get it out.
    At her age she is nursing about 6 times a day.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 3:09 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i wish that i could breastfeed for the full recommended time, but i'm in a situation that i may only be able to breastfeed for the first 6 months and then hopefully keep up with it for the following 6 months with a pump.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I'm okay with as long as my DD wants to do it.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I'll nurse my little one just as long as she wants to. My older 4 all self weaned right around 2 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009