how do you make potato soup?

umm yeah so how do you?

Zandrialeann

Asked by Zandrialeann at 1:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don’t use a recipe. It is really easy! I use either a slowcooker or stockpot. Heat pot, add a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter. Add a thinly sliced leek. When the leek is fragrant add four cups (or so) of vegetable broth/stock. Add peeled and cut potatoes (I like using Yukon Golds). Simmer until potatoes are very soft. Turn off heat; use a blender, food processor or immersion blender. At this point, I refrigerate overnight and reheat and season (sea salt and black pepper) to taste the next day. Serve with whatever toppings you like: cheese, sour cream, plain yogurt, scallions, etc. If the soup is too thick, thin with milk, water, broth, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• mine's real close to that except I also chop up carrots and celery and do not refrigerate it. But add a cup of cream, cup of cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon right before I serve so I guess mine's more like loaded potato soup.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I don't follow a recipe, but this is how I do it. I make a huge batch when I make it!
    Peel & cut up potatoes, chop/slice carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, any other veggie you want in it. Put all in a pan/cooker of choice, cover with water, and cook til everything is tender. In a small saucepan on the stove, melt butter, margarine, oil, whatever your preference is, and whisk in an equal amount of flour or cornstarch - making a roux. When it's nice and mixed, add milk and bring up to a boil, stirring constantly. Add pepper & salt to taste. OR, buy a can of Wondra flour and follow the "white sauce" instructions. Pour off half of the cooking water from the potato veggie mixture. Add in the white sauce and any additional milk, or cream of whatever soup. Heat back through, and add anything else you want - I throw in frozen corn, chopped ham or crumbled bacon, cheese, whatever sounds good! (this is chunky, not smooth).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• my potato soup is a little different. I just cut up as many potatoes as desired in the soup, and slice up 2 keilbasa sausages, and fill the pot with water, dice up a whole yellow onion, and boil until potatoes are tender, and season with slat and pepper as desired. its delicous!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I make loaded baked potato soup by baking 4 or 5 potatoes and letting them cool, and dicing them up. Then, I make a roux with butter and flour and pour in milk. Throw in some crispy bacon, sour cream, potatoes, green onions, cheddar cheese and salt and pepper.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I make potato soup out of leftover mashed potatoes. I add a cup of half and half, and chicken broth until it reaches the desired consistency. I then add caramelized onions, then garnish with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009