what is your peice of advice for a great relationship with your other half?

i am moving in with my boyfriend in the next few days. when i was married me and my ex had a horrible relationship. me and my boyfriend are great so far but what is your advice to keep the relationship good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Learn to speak each others love language. There's a book called "The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate". It's a great book.
    Some people feel the most loved when they spend quality time together. Others feel the most loved when others do the "little things" for them. etc etc. there are 5 of them.

My husband and i are both "words of affirmation". We both like to hear about how fantastic we are and how much we are appreciated.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Don't listen to what others say...I used to and it almost ruined our relationship
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Choose your battles. Complain about the shaving cream and whiskers all over the sink or complain about the seat up. Don't whine about both. And make sure you hear him because that works both ways - bras hanging over the shower rod and every square inch of sink space taken up with your beauty routine is just as rude. That also means make sure you're on the same page from the start for big stuff like how the bills are getting paid and what kind of shopping is "free" vs something you should consult each other about first. Don't give yourself reasons to fight down the road when you don't have to if you just have a conversation about it righ tnow.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Don't make a big deal over little things. It drives me insane to my sister and her husband argue and fight over stupid silly stuff. Make your finances very clear before anything. Dh and I decided before he moved in that I would handle the money and our checks would go into one account. Money is tight so he always asks me hwo much we have before he buys anything. Just being considerate of eachother goes a LONG way.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Live like there is not tomorrow. And as a few others have already said don't sweat the little things, life is to short to sit around and bitch about the little things. Treat him the way you want to be treated and enjoy each other. Love is exciting when you let each other know they are loved.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• great comunication and frienindship w/ each other is key. I have been happily married for 11yrs.

I have heard that Love Languages book is great, sounds like it would be worth the read!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Listen to him.

Don't seat the small stuff--it really doesn't matter.

Think before you complain.

Never stop being kind, considerate, and respectful towards each other. Never stop making the effort to make each other's lives better.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Love Languages is a good book. We went over them all at a marriage retreat once.

Another big one is: Never stop talking.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• All the PP have great responses.
    Communication is key. If something is bothering either one of you, bring it up now. Dont let it fester for 6 months before you blow up and scream at him for 6 months worth of crap that he didnt even know was bothering you. No one like to talk about money, but a serious conversation every payday about how the money is spent and on what is very important. This was a problem for DH and I. I thought he was paying his credit cards, he thought I was paying his credit cards, end result, no one paid them and we had a huge late fee. Having your own seperate lives is important too.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Communicate in a non-attack manner.
    Dont nag because you are different people and wont see a situation the exact same(like you may find it important and he doesnt,etc). Nagging never solved anything.

If its not a big deal...dont bother. I see so many people start arguments and wigging out on one another over stupid little things that, in the end, are nothing. Dont do it!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2009