litter box training?

i just got a new kitten. the poeple said she was fully litter box trained. i brought her home a little over a day ago and she wont use it she just goes in the corner in my house! what can i do? my husband is complaning. i keep putting her in the litter box and she wont use it

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 3:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pets

• try putting the box in the couner she is using now. maybe then after a little bit you can move it to a new spot. also make sure you don't put it next to the dryer(the noise can spook them so they don't want to use it). Oh and don't put cat's food near their box, some cats don't like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• we got a new kitten too, and he poo's like no tommorrow. he uses his box but he fills it up so fast he then goes on the floor. I have his box in the upstairs bathroom, with newspapers down. he also has a special corner he goes in and I just make sure theres paper. try putting your kitty in a small room and leave her in there over night with papers down. maybe your not using the same liter as shes used to. cats are very finicky
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I had the same problem with my kitten. Another mom on here told me to wipe his poop/pee with a paper towel, then put the towel in the litter box. Put the cat in the box and let him smell it. My cat pooped on the floor, dh put it in the box the cat walked up smelled it and went pee in the box!! But you also have to watch them. Every time we saw him going for a corner I would put him in the bathroom with the box. And put the box in the spot that he usually goes in. After about a week he was fully trained.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Ok, so a few things about cats and litter boxes:
    1. You should have one box for every cat you have plus 1. That means 2 boxes for 1 cat, 3 boxes for 2 cats, and so on.
    2. Some cats want a clean box, some want it seasoned. If you have one cat, have a clean box and one with some poo to see which your cat prefers.
    3. Place one box in the location your cat is currently going (after cleaning the area thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner made for cat messes).
    4. Find out which litter was used before. Some cats are very particular and prefer clumping to non. Even a change in brand between two clumping litters can make a difference.
    5. Try Cat Attract. It is a product to help encourage the use of the box. It comes as either an additive or a specially treated litter. It is available at pet hospitals and in pet specialty stores.
    6. Make sure your cat isn't suffering from a urinary tract infection. This can cause inappropriate urination.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:23 AM on Nov. 25, 2009