One of the many reasons I am not Catholic anymore

"U.S. Catholic Bishops have made a giant leap toward using Communion as their next political weapon, with Rhode Island's bishop telling Rep. Patrick Kennedy that he is no longer welcome to receive Communion during Mass at any church in the entire state. The move by Bishop Thomas Tobin follows through on previous threats by many U.S. Catholic bishops that they would ban pro-choice and pro-LGBT politicians from partaking in one of the Church's most important sacraments."

I can not belive they are doing this! It is so wrong! What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't blame you! I figure: Love God, read His Word, hang out with whoever is a blessing to hang out with whether it is a church, a moms group, whatever. We are all members i the Body of Christ, and members in particular (I Corintihians something or other, I an't remember!)
    taraslife

Answer by taraslife at 5:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• The Church sees abortion as murder. Why would they let someone who supports murder be in communion with the Church?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• sin is sin. is no sin the same as another? is one sin to a lesser degree to another?
    no, sin is sin and we all sin. even the catholic leaders. anyone and everyone should be welcomed into the church at any time for any reason.
    why I am no longer catholic either. or my brothers or my sister.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• People need to get over calling this the church getting into politics. The church isn't the issue here, Kennedy is. He is breaking the rules of his faith, and has been reminded, PRIVATELY, of those rules that apply to every single Catholic on the planet. He chose to share a private conversation Springer style in hopes people would do exactly what they are doing - ignore that he is breaking the rules of the religion he CHOOSES to follow and instead go after the church because he made it sound like a big deal. It's not a big deal. It happens all the time. The thing is, MOST people have a small enough ego and enough self-respect that they don't go on national TV to whine about a conversation that is the equivalent of the boss pulling an employee aside and telling them they need to shower more often. If he has a problem with it, it's up to him to leave the church, not for the 1 billion+ Catholics to change the rule for him.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• "The Church sees abortion as murder. Why would they let someone who supports murder be in communion with the Church?"

I'm sorry we are talking about the Catholic Church right? The same Church that thinks it's OK for their priest's to diddle little boys, and then cover-up those acts for centuries - But not OK for someone to support a woman's RIGHT to do what she needs to do with HER OWN body???? WTF??? Happy and proud that I was NEVER Catholic!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Jewjewbee, sure everyone sins, and all sins are equal, but when you sin you recognize you sin and ask for forgiveness and try to avoid sin in the future. You don't ignore the fact that your sn is a sin and support that sin in public. There is the difference.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Happy and proud that I was NEVER Catholic!!!

Don't flatter yourself, they feel the same about you.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If you want to be a part of a religion, you should follow it's rules. If you don't agree with the rules, find another religion.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Tara, the Body of Christ is the Eucharist... read your Bible, read your catechism, read any doctrine if you are Catholic. How can a mouth that profanes the Church receive Christ without profaning His body?
    Bloom4Christ

Answer by Bloom4Christ at 8:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I don't think it is political, it is religious. If he doesn't agree with the teachings of the church, instead of making the Church out to be the bad guy (for upholding their teachings and beliefs), why doesn't he just leave?

Amlimommy

Answer by Amlimommy at 9:11 AM on Nov. 24, 2009