How do you handle one person in your family that ruins ever single holiday?

Say you have one person in your CLOSE family that is like a black cloud hanging over every single holiday...being rude, starting fights, just plain ruining the day for everyone...how do you handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• You have to be the bigger person.

If everyone knows they should just ignore her/him. Every family has one. I do. We know how that person is Rude, obnoxious, never has something nice too say.

You are there to enjoy your self, let them be miserable with out you.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I divorced him. :)

Ok, in seriousness, you just have to decide that no matter what they do, you absolutely refuse to let them ruin your holiday. Ignore them. Pretend you don't hear them, see them, notice them. If they try to get to you personally, walk away.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We just ignore him. Its my stepdad and he is horrible. But the rest of us always have fun. We try to park him in front of the TV, (sometimes he'll stay) and leave him there. :)
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 9:18 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Who?

Either don't invite or don't go because of that person.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• What do you do if it's your child?

And how do you convince your other children to enjoy themselves when that child is making everyone miserable?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• For me it is my sister, I try my best to ignore her and keep my distance. I mean there is nothing I can do or say to improve her attitude toward me. So I just leave it alone, I said my peace a long time ago.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:36 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If it is a child, why is the child behaving this way? Once you know why, then you can appropriately address the issue(s). Start by asking yourself some questions...Is the child always this way? If not, then why is the child this way only at the holidays? Is it because the child is overwhelmed &/or overstimulated? Whether it is your child or another family members, maybe there is a way to ease the child's discomfort by providing a "safe zone" where the child can play quietly and/or calm down by him or herself.

With a child you have more control over the situation than you would with an adult, so think about why the child is the way he or she is and maybe you can come up with some solutions. If this child is really that bad, I'm sure you'll be the hero of the family gathering if you can find a solution that works for everybody involved.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Well, my sister will not come to anyting involving this child. Wll not allow her child to be around him either. He has been this way since I met him. He has made is crystal clear that he'll continue to do this until he gets his way. His way being going to live with his Grandma. It's bad enough, that my own PARENTS won't come to the other cihldrens birthday parties unless he's going to be somewhere else. Everything we have tried has not worked, and we have tried EVERYTHING. He's determined that he's gong to live wit his Grandmother, and he's pushing everyone to the breaking point. The holidays are only part of it...it's an everyday thing. It's affecting the other kids to the point that they don't even get excited for anything because they know he will spoil it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Where does Grandma live from you? How old is this child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• About 15 minutes away, but it's her and her sister in a very small apartment. He's 14. He wants to live with her, because she believes he does nothing wrong ever, so she lets him walk all over her with no discipline or consequences for his action. Bascially, when he visits her, he is free to do anything he likes whenever he likes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2009