My daughter is really confused

she is in first grade, and is really confused about adding and subtracting. How can I help her understand, once I remind her she gets it but forgets very quickly.

Any tricks to teaching her?

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put out something like pennies, show her look here is 10 now I am taking 3 away how many are left? Do this over and over until she gets a visual of what taking away and adding to something mean. Kids process in different ways, she will get the hang of it! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My daughter is also in first grade. They have to draw a picture with the math problem. If it is 5 - 3, they have to draw 5 things and cross out 3 of them. It's a good way to understand. They have to do this by every problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• How does she learn best? doing? seeing? Hearing? Work with her to see *how* she learns and then approach it that way. The ones above work well for both seeing and doing learners. hearing can work well with using fingers. (even double digits). Say "you have 3 fingers on one hand and 5 on the other. How many do you have. SHe would hear it and then count her fingers (also helps visually)
    Anonymous

• fingers, pencils, stirring straws, beads, leggos,
    you can get a number line and jump from number to number however many added or sudtracted to get to the answer.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We have been using connector cubes they are hands on and we can see the problem practically. Also try these links

This

or

This

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 5:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I homeschool and I really find that hands on stuff works great for math. Look upsome of the Saxons manipulative math kits.. they have some great stuff. My oldest is 5 so, we really havn't gotten to much into adding and subtracting, but I have foundthat kids can count pretty well when marshmellows are the counting tools!!! exp.. we have how many marshmellows in the pile, 5? and how many in this pile,3? which pile would you prefer, what about if we combined both piles how many would we have then? ... you can use tons of different senarios... plus cooking is a great way of understanding math.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• In our Waldorf school they do some pretty cool things. The children learn arithmetic kinetically. They learn math while jump-roping, their times tables through hand-clapping games, etc. It sure makes it fun!
    You might look into this and try it.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• just practice and use worksheets, and everything in your normal life - how many apples, how many big forks....

my oldest has problems in math too.

math.com is a good site.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2009