Excommunicated from the church?

My SO and live together. Have for almost 3 years. (not married) I am looking to join his church, but when the pastor found out we're living together, he wants to meet with us and discuss this. It's a possibility that 1. he is excommunicated 2. we have to live separately. 3. I am looking to another church(which he won't because of family). What would you suggest?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 9:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Meet with him and see what he says. When my hubby and I decided to get married we were already living together and had 3 children and dh decided he wanted to rejoin the Catholic Church. The Priest we met with, who later married us, asked us some questions but didn't say anything about excommunicating my dh and didn't make any commands about me converting or anything like that. First see exactly what's going on then make your choice from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Wow you two would change your living situtation of a church?? Tell him that you respect that he likes his church because his family goes there but if the church is going to judge your life style (which I thought was Jesus' job) then I would not be attending. When we went to speak with the Pastor I would also tell him that you understand his concern but it is your sin to repent and explain to whoever you meet when you go to heaven not his.
    Sorry I am not religious thought my DH does like going to a church (we are both Athiest) because his family goes there and for a sense of community.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:01 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Atheism.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If your SO isnt willing to change his ways cuz of family pressure then he will either be excommunicated which will make his family sad,etc anyway or you will be moving out.

Its really about him because you can change your church but are you willing to move out so he can make his family happy(cuz it sounds like that is the main item here).

If it were me....Id not have talked to his church leaders about it cuz its none of their concern. In fact, I didnt when I lived with my spouse before marriage. We would go to church and that was that. We never went and talked to anyone and my family wasnt thrilled but they didnt force the issue by going behind our backs to the church leaders either.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I am catholic, I don't follow everything because they are too judgemental. Our GOD/Jesus are forgiving! God is the only one that can judge me, if we do the judging then we take God's job away that pisses him off. Follow your heart, go to church but don't let anyone make you feel unworthy to join the church because your living to gether out of wedlock. Remember that God runs our life not other people. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Go to the meeting to see what they say. I would think the biggest concern they would have is that you are haivng sex without being married. They most likely will try to talk you into getting married soon, and not having sex until then.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 1:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Go meet with him. And just a question-Why not get married?
    And why did he get excommunicated?
    I don't agree with churches that do this.
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2009