The news said the average family to spend $300-some on Christmas

I can't remember which prime time news it was on last night, but that seems really low to me. About how much do you think you spend on Christmas, I would say we spend about $1000. I know there's a lot of unemployment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• $1,000????

Even if I had that kind of money, I would NEVER spend that much. I spend around $400- $500 at the most and that includes not only my 3 kids, but extended family as well.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• wow, I guess that's a lot but that includes everyone included all extended family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Wow yea I spend about 700 I would say with baking and extended family plus my DD and DH. We do a lot of decorating too so that adds up quick.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I spend over $300 for sure! I wish i could find a way to spend less, but I spent more than that on one gift for my dd. I understand people are having hard times this year but I think on other years people spend more than that.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I am so glad that we are not Christian! $1000 to celebrate the birth of Jesus? I just don't get it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• lol I'm not a practicing Christian and I celebrate, Christmas is about gifts not Jesus, lookit how commercialized it is.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's an average which means some people spend more and an equal portion spends less. It sounds about right to me and no, it has absolutely nothing to to do with the birth of Jesus. It's presents and food and decor. Although many more churches give away toys and food at this time of year than usual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I "spend" well over $1.000 on Christmas. This INCLUDES all family, baking and decorating. The reason I put the quotations with "spend" is because all year long I gather up my giftcards that I earn from mypoints and swagbucks and use them. Having used those I spend hardly no money money on anything. I also use coupons on EVERYTHING that I can!

This is worth checking out for those that want to find a way to make Christmas cheaper every year.
    CouponingMoM

Answer by CouponingMoM at 10:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i've already spent 250.00 on just my son's smaller gifts. I'm trying to save for a family pool table nothing fancy but its about 400.00. I have'nt really bought for family yet...but i will probably spend a about 150.00. We always get a live tree which is usually 30 bucks....then the christmas candies i like to make probably close to 100.00...it will come close to 1000.00
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2009