How do I get my 12 year old son to stop acting up in school and being disruptive?

Parent teacher conference today and he's doing well academically, but tries to be the class clown and won't listen when teacher tells him to do something.

KathyClep

Asked by KathyClep at 10:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• get the doctors to diagnose him w/ autism or something so he has an excuse =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Have the teacher Isolate him.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Is he bored, and needs harder work?
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• were i you i'd try talking to the teacher for him/her to give a little show in the class w/ you son being the foces of all eyes. if my son was calling for attention, i'd allways be on his side. that's the teacher's job to handle the situation in the clas. let the teacher come w/ sthg not depriving. since he's definitely bored maybe the teach could assign him to a weak student to help at the class time in a far end of the classroom. is he getting extra assignments as way of punishment. he likes to be a comedian, but ... i'd show him 'family best video' or 'you're in the kandid camera' at home and when he laughs on sthg i'd immediately say how sad was that - a person/dog got injured, it must have hurt, what a monkey's IQ of that adult etc. for him to see people laugh since they are stupid, he must watch up & behave himself.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I have an 8 yr old, he went from very poor conduct to A/B's in conduct. Outside of having ADHD, he would still act up some even with medication. I started 1/12 years ago having him write 25-40 times; I would have him write: I will NOT talk/ get out of my chair during class. (example). After doing that for 3 to 4 months, he behaves. I would have him write during times I knew he wanted to watch a certain program or during his time on the weekend. When it interrupted his time, he stopped interrupting the teachers time. Discipline them during their personal time, let them know that they control their behavior/ life. I hope you find what works for you and your child. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Sit in his class and see why he acts up. Is he bored? Is he distracted? I would also have him evaluated for ADHD or some other disorder and get therapy, if needed. But, if he does have a disorder, do NOT let him use that as an excuse to be disrespectful and disruptive to the teacher or classmates.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• get the doctors to diagnose him w/ autism or something so he has an excuse =)----STILL NOT AN EXCUSE!!!!

Have the teacher Isolate him. -----SO THE OTHER KIDS CAN LEARN TO HATE HIM----AND TO MAKE THE TEACHERS DAY HARDER---

Is he bored, and needs harder work? -------SO HE CAN FAIL FASTER---
    GOOD GRIEF----- HAVE THE TEACHER EMAIL YOU WITH A LIST OF HE DAILY BEHAVIORS AND PUNISH HIM AT HOME THAT EVENING AND ASK HIM--WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?? AND TELL HIM THAT IS NO EXCUSE, A FEW BAD NIGHTS OF GETTING IT AT HOME DOES ALOT OF GOOD!!!! NO SUPPER,OR AT LEAST NO TREAT, NO TV, IN BED AT IT 6:30 WORKED FOR ME ----BOTH MY KIDS WERE OUT OF CONTROL AT SCHOOL, NOW THERE ARE DELIGHTFUL; AND A TEACHER FAV.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2009