always screaming at her brother

My daughter is always screaming at her brother. I am not sure what to do. I am at my wits end. I tell her not to talk to people like that. I even take things away from her. Please help I am about to snap.

BOOGIETHEBOOG

Asked by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 10:26 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Remove her from the situation. My 6 year old runs her mouth constantly, rude and it drives me crazy and hits her brother but I have been:

Sending her in her room, when she calms down she can come back out, I told her I will not put up with it.
    I am not putting up with it anymore I am the mom.
    She will learn, i am not playing and get tired, I just hope she does before I do. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• What is the precursor to this type of behavior....Think about the last incident your daughter screamed at her brother...what preceeded it? Finding out what triggers these episodes is one way to help STOP or avoid the situation. Also keeping them active would help, children who are busy do not have time to fight. Finally, I would ask you where did your daughter LEARN this type of behavior? Who in your family screams and runs there mouth constantly. If you are honest with yourself, and take direct action this will no longer be a problem.

abbyg

Answer by abbyg at 1:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I agree with both KFree and abbyq... what is happening before she starts screaming... where did she learn this behavior... and when she can't be a productive member of the family, she needs to sit in solitude until she can calm herself down. I would personally make her lay on the bed and stare at the ceiling (that's what mine do and they hate it). In our home, my kids learned to holler from both my husband and I (ugh) so now we're correcting our bad example.

My daughter (11) is always hollering at my son (6). At one point he got sick of her, picked up his baby and smacked her in the head with it. Did it fix the behavior? Not so much LOL. Our approach has worked with them, mostly because when we get right down to it... they absolutely adore each other and hate to be apart!
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 2:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I took away the show ( jon and kate) that she got it from.I even told my mom no more Jon and Kate. I told her that we don't act like Kate. We want people to respect us. So we treat people how we want people to treat us. That works for a while.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 2:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009