Did Anyone see this this morning?

On CNN this morning one of the top stories was our government paying Afgan villages a total of 38 billion dollars to stop growing poppies. I cannot find the link for the story, but seriously! Wonder where this money is coming from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• China.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• And look how much the Clinton adm paid NK to end their nuke program. That worked real well too.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:38 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• LOL, Carpy!
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Yea this is because the poppies are used to make I think opium and heroin which are major problems in place over there, and I think it has something to do with Terrorism too. So they are paying them to not grow them because forcing them to not grow them destroys their way of life and people only way to make money. So when we where forcing them to not grow poppies it was causing a lot of anti-americanism and the drugs where being imported to us.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I saw this while I was looking for the story on the crib recall. The lady said "It's cheaper to buy friends then kill enemies." and my first thought was well instead of the Taliban and Al Qeada being bankrolled by drug money they're going to be bankrolled with our tax money.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 10:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Maybe this is what that new war surtax is going towards?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Didn't you hear? The money is coming from Obama...

Instead of PAYING them not to grow poppies, how about if we encourage and help them grow something useful like FOOD. We have agricultural technology we could share. Poppies play a big role in their economy. It can be replaced with another crop, but not with cash.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• While I disagree with sending "our" money over there for this pupose; asking them to grow something different isn't going to work. If you can grow one poppy field and make $1000 or grow one field of food; any kind and only make $50 - which are you going to do? We can't convince them to stop; and why is it our business to anyway?
    Anonymous

• Production of opium in Afghanistan has actually SKYROCKETED sine the US troops arrived. Big profits to be made there.

Anyone remember Iran-Contra and the money made drug-running there? Hmm..
    Anonymous

• Add that to the tally of money wasted on the drug war.
    Anonymous