Do your kids think they are eating in a Restaurant at dinner time?

My kids did, I told them. I am through.

I told them, eat what I serve or don't eat. I am tired of cooking more then one meal, and will not do it anymore. This is my third day, wish me luck.

Any moms with me on this???

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Ugh, my 3 year old can be super picky at times. It's really annoying because her problem is not that she doesn't like it, she's just going thru this very stubborn "try-some three" phase and if she doesn't want to eat then it will sit there til she's hungry and get re-heated. If she tries it and truly doesn't like it, she's offered a PB&J or bowl of cereal. But no way in hell am I preparing a whole new meal for her, I put a lot of time and effort into most of my meals.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• tnm786 - you and i share a common misery! stubborn 3 year old!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• good girl. good luck.
    It is hard, everybody goes though this. Just keep things kinda dry not to much sauce.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My house isnt a diner & thank god my kids understand that. Good luck on overcoming it you two. I just never started it i seen the mess my friends made by doing that, there kids hated eating at my house because it was eat or go hungry. THe only time i stray from that is if someone is sick and want soup or something easier to eat, but that is my only exception to the rule.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have picky monsters on your hands. I promise that your children will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed,

Answer by rkoloms at 11:07 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I've always been that way - I've never been a short order cook! The only time they're allowed to pick what they want, they still have certain things to choose from (leftover meals usually). I've never let my kids be picky and now they're really good eaters - even my pickiest child is a good eater - she puts my adult, mother-of-her-own-child, SIL to shame!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I've always tolld my kids that i'm not a short order cook. My daughter went to bed hungary for 2 nights before she "remembered" that she liked chicken when I was cooking it lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:30 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My 13 year old is a picky eater.

I am soo tired of it, so now it is eat what I make of don't eat.

I do have pick a night, when I dont' feel much up too cooking I say_what would you like, but for now I have to put that on hold.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I remember those days. I have 4 kids and 2 step sons...when they were all little and at home, they tried to have me cook different things at dinner time. I refused! I cook ONE dinner, and you either eat it or not....up to you. That was my rule!
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I make 3 healthy meals a day (and have healthy snacks in between). If they don't want to eat what I serve (not that I serve foods they absolutely hate, but it isn't their favorite thing every day) it is on them because I have fulfilled my part of the "contract" as their parent by supplying them with meals. And CPS will definitely side with me on that! lol.
    Anonymous