My 6 week old is sick...

He is congested and has a cough. He has been sleeping alot too. My questions is what can I do to help him. I have been using the nasal spray(using a q-tip to put it in his nose) I have the humidifier. I took him to the dr and she just said to do the nasal spray...anything else I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor told me to prop up the head of my sons crib when he was congested. I also let him sleep in his car seat and sometimes propped him up by using his boppy.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• my boy was older when got flu alike symptoms (~6 mths). i tried not to infect him as i was sick 1st, so my dh took care w/ diapering, feeding etc. much more then me. i tried to give him as much of breast milk as possible - on account of the antibodies in it. he was also v. little as to give him any medication. i looked always on the clock per say to stick to his feedings. he might loose some interest but should not get weak of not eating. wake him up at regular times and feed. well, certainly each time i'd give him few minutes more but not too much. or once every 2nd day let him sleep extra longer. i talked to my son a lot, sang, and tried to make laughing - it's always healthy, right? i never used the spray - i always was using nasal drops (just a detail). and he was sleeping in his bouncer for most.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding use breastmilk in place of the saline (nasal spray). You can also take baby into the bathroom while running a hot shower, using the steam to clear the passage ways.  If baby ever seems to be having rapid breaths or his chest indents when he breaths take baby to the er asap.  I hope baby feels better soon!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 24, 2009