Heart Murmer

My sons doctor said that he has a heart murmer that does not sound "innocent". He is a little over a month old. I have to take him to see a heart doctor. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This has not happened to me but if the doctor said it doesn't sound innocent I would have it checked out. You may have to get a referral from your son's doctor.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It could be a thousand things. Getting it checked out by a cardiologist will give the answers you need. It could be something they'll "watch", something he'll outgrow, or something requiring medicine or treatment. WHATEVER it is, you will take care of it, because you are mom.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Try not to worry until the specialist looks. Is your baby growing/gaining weight? My friend had a hole in her heart as a baby. She would eat and eat but not gain any weight. She ended up having open heart surgery and is now 28 and doing fine. Mine had what they said was "innocent" but I still worried. And it was innocent. It was in her lungs though, not her heart. Weird stuff, ya know. My uncle has one andhas to have antibotics before any dental work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My DH and my new BIL both have always had heart murmmers. Both are extremely strong, healthy, loving, wonderful men. Both have gone through some really tough times and their hearts are always strong enough. There are over the counter supplements that can be taken (for adults) that can help with some of the worse conditions. One thing that I learned from my BIL, take care of your child's teeth. It helps. I don't know much about it, but it's supposed to keep the heart healthier if you take care of your teeth.
    Anonymous