How long (age of baby) do you still boil or sanitize bottle nipples?

whitehorse

Asked by whitehorse at 9:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did it the first month.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 9:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• Never. Per my pediatrician, since I have city water it isn't necessary. Ask yours. Your also just as well off putting them in the diswasher-this sanitizes just like boiling does.
    AmyLiz07

Answer by AmyLiz07 at 9:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• How does one sanitize nipples?
    Bathe daily and wear a clean bra. It beats boiling them in a saucepan!!

Seriously though, we just used the dishwasher.

If you don't have a dishwasher (like our new apartment--we traded a dishwasher for being a block from the beach), all you really need is hot water to wash them, and an antibacterial dish soap. If you choose to sanitize, for whatever reason, you can stop sanitizing them around 6 months--by then they should be getting solid (smushed) foods anyhow, and they should have had a couple rounds of immunizations to protect them from the really bad stuff. Also, by 6 months their immune system has developed enough to handle the odd germ or two.

Besides, while a sick kid is miserable (for both of you!!), in the long run, being exposed to germs is what builds their immune systems...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• I just do it before we use it the first time. After that they just get washed.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• I just did with the first use (recommended by the maker) and used hot soapy water to wash after each use. Now my dd is 15 months and I just wash off the sippy cup and toss it back at her. Amazing how things change so fast. :)
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• When my kids were little we did it probably for the first couple of months... Wish having a dishwasher, I think you are pretty safe not to sterilize.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2008

• i didnt, the nurses told me at the hospital, to just put them in the dishwasher, because once your baby leaves the hospital, he will no longer be sterile, and nothing he ever comes into contact will be either.. so, we never did, and just wash them in the dishwasher, or if he needs one in a hurry, then i just scrub a dub dub in he kitchen sink. Just to make sure of the nurses advice I asked my son's ped, and he smiled and said, yep.. granted, its your own choice what you feel you need to do with your child and his/her care :)
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 2:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2008

• my dr said that it isnt neccessary these days. you just have to wash them whith warm soapy water.
    renee3218

Answer by renee3218 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 10, 2008