How do you interpret this bible verse?

November 24, 2009

The days are coming, declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land; not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD."
Amos 8:11

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I see it as saying he will be FORCING people to not believe. So much for free will, right?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• O.K. this anon is either trying to stir up trouble or needs to learn some basics of Bible interpretation. Number one is don't pick one verse out of context. We don't do that with conversations.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• teamquinn
    O.K. this anon is either trying to stir up trouble or needs to learn some basics of Bible interpretation. Number one is don't pick one verse out of context. We don't do that with conversations.

Why are you always so grumpy? Cafemom is not just your site, and you are not a moderator here. A person can ask what they want, and no scripture is "out of context". Why are you so bitter?
    Anonymous

• Great book. But the whole thing should be read as it was talking to the Jewish nations of the time.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 28 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 by: teamquinn
    O.K. this anon is either trying to stir up trouble or needs to learn some basics of Bible interpretation.

OK teamquinn is either trying to stir up trouble or needs to learn some basics manners.
    Anonymous

• why is it that everytime someone has a question about the bible or a religion, they are "trying to stir up trouble?" 

If the poster was completely educated on the bible or the particular verse (which most are not) then there would be no need to ask the interpretaion of others.

If you dont have an aswer, then...

dont get mad...get glad, lol (jk)

Anonymous

• Anon: what is your interpretation? What do you get out of that verse?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I had to read it in complete context. In this chapter, God is addressing Israel, who once again ticked Him off. He is stating His intention to punish them not only be famine, but by removing His presence and blessing from them until they repent. That is my interpretation. I read the text in NASB on biblegateway
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My interpretation? I think it means more people will turn from the word of the Lord as we get closer to the end of time.
    Anonymous

• The Jews were not practicing the faith the way the Lord commanded them to do so he spread them away from the land he promised them and told them that until they returned to His command then they would not have the Word. And they would never again hear it from prophets.

Amos 8:11-12
    "Behold, the days are comming," says the Lord God,
    "That I will send a famine on the land,
    Not a famine of bread,
    Nor a thirst for water,
    But of hearing the words of the Lord.
    They shall wonder from sea to sea,
    And from north to east;
    They shall run to and fro, seeking
    the work of the Lord,
    But shall not find it."
    rjpetty605

Answer by rjpetty605 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009