Did you know there 150 reasons why I am Catholic?

1. Best One-Sentence Summary: I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the biblical data, offers the only coherent view of the history of Christianity (i.e., Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and philosophy.

2. Alternate: I am a Catholic because I sincerely believe, by virtue of much cumulative evidence, that Catholicism is true, and that the Catholic Church is the visible Church divinely-established by our Lord Jesus, against which the gates of hell cannot and will not prevail (Mt 16:18), thereby possessing an authority to which I feel bound in Christian duty to submit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 3. 2nd Alternate: I left Protestantism because it was seriously deficient in its interpretation of the Bible (e.g., "faith alone" and many other "Catholic" doctrines - see evidences below), inconsistently selective in its espousal of various Catholic Traditions (e.g., the Canon of the Bible), inadequate in its ecclesiology, lacking a sensible view of Christian history (e.g., "Scripture alone"), compromised morally (e.g., contraception, divorce), and unbiblically schismatic, anarchical, and relativistic. I don't therefore believe that Protestantism is all bad (not by a long shot), but these are some of the major deficiencies I eventually saw as fatal to the "theory" of Protestantism, over against Catholicism. All Catholics must regard baptized, Nicene, Chalcedonian Protestants as Christians.

4. Catholicism isn't formally divided and sectarian (Jn 17:20-23; Rom 16:17; 1 Cor 1:10-13).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 5. Catholic unity makes Christianity and Jesus more believable to the world (Jn 17:23).

6. Catholicism, because of its unified, complete, fully supernatural Christian vision, mitigates against secularization and humanism.

7. Catholicism avoids an unbiblical individualism which undermines Christian community (e.g., 1 Cor 12:25-26).

8. Catholicism avoids theological relativism, by means of dogmatic certainty and the centrality of the papacy.

9. Catholicism avoids ecclesiological anarchism - one cannot merely jump to another denomination when some disciplinary measure or censure is called for.

10. Catholicism formally (although, sadly, not always in practice) prevents the theological relativism which leads to the uncertainties within the Protestant system among laypeople.

11. Catholicism rejects the "State Church," which has led to governments dominating Christianity rather than vice-versa.

Anonymous

• Here is some more

I will post more later and every time I see an anti Catholic post I will continue to post these. Don't want to be Catholic? Don't be Catholic, but I can tell you without a doubt I would never be part of a religion that accepts degrading and smear campaigns against another religion.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• lol, u r funny. i believe u have the right to your cult beliefs but I am shocked that anyone with a clue would. they should call it - heathens unite under the control of the pope who thinks he is a god
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Good for you for sticking up for your beliefs ( I am Catholic too). Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You should be on a catholic forum then. This forum is for questions and advice, not for trying to convert people to Catholicism.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Everyone thinks their religion has it right, but perhaps you're all wrong.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Are you going to post all 150 reasons? LOL You will probably give me that many more subjects to challenge the Catholic Church with.
    Anonymous

• A. The Pope does NOT think he's God. (That's a misconception by a lot of anti Catholics and non-Catholics). It's simply NOT true. We only worship God, not the Pope.

B. Oh goodo grief, people!...At one time or another all religions can be considered cults. What makes a cult good or bad is their beliefs/practices and anyone who takes the time to TRULY study Catholic beliefs and find out what they REALLY are (rather than reverting recycled misconceptions and misrepresentations) would know that Catholicism is actually VERY Biblical.
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 1:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 37 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 by: MrsLeftlane
    You should be on a catholic forum then. This forum is for questions and advice, not for trying to convert people to Catholicism.

I can and WILL post any question I want. It would nice to see you post this type of response to the numerous anit-Catholic question posted. If you don't like you are welcome to skip over the question
    Anonymous