How can I get my 9 month old to sleep through the night...

My son turned 9 months old on Nov 17th. He has NEVER slept through the night since the day he was born. At first he was only waking up once to feed (around 4:00am) but now for the last 2 weeks he is waking up twice a night (his bed time is 8:30) at around Midnight and 4:30 am to feed. Last night he had a bottle (9oz) at midnight and then again at 4:30 (8oz). Please help!! Im a stay at home mama but night is my only ME time and now I feel like Im not even sleeping.. Im at my wits end.. HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep is a developmental stage reached in baby's own time. Right now baby is going through yet another growth spurt and is still in need of those feedings. Your time is coming soon. Hang in there!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Sorry, you just have to be patient. The first time my daughter slept six solid hours, she was 8 months old. She did not sleep through the night on a regular basis until she was about 14 months old. Co-sleeping saved me from losing my mind! It was easy for me to doze while she nursed.

Enjoy your little one!!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's normal for babies to wake at night until they are around 3.

For all time babies have breastfed and slept with their mothers. It has only been the last 100 years or so babies could survive without being breastfed. In most places babies still breastfeed and sleep with their mothers. It's normal for babies to breastfeed until they are 3 or older.

Breastfeeding toddlers breastfeed at night. Mothers living in other societies just accept this at the way it is. They are appalled that mothers in the US don't breastfeed and force their babies sleep in cribs.

When babies are artificially fed, sleep in cribs, and expected to sleep through the night it goes against the way babies brains are hard wired.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:39 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I don't buy the 'sleep is a developmental milestone' thing. I think that sleep is a learned skill. Babies need to be taught when, where and how. We did a modified CIo starting at 5 mos. My daughter was up every 3 hrs. like clockwork. I was so exhausted and at my wits end with working full-time, so one night, I decided I would not feed her until 5 hrs. had passed (pediatrician confirmed that she did not need to eat at night). So she woke up and DH and I took turns patting her back to sleep every 10 mins. or so. We never picked her up. After 3 days, she was going 5 hrs. and then went through the night. She is very stubborn so I was surprised. Consistency is key but I would not feed him. He doesn't need it, he is just in a habit (2 docs. have said this to us). All the ppl. I know who insist on feeding their kids at night have kids who still dont' sleep through at 1, 2, and even 3 yo.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:54 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• As long as he is eating every 4 hrs., he can skip 1 feeding at night, so you are not 'starving him.' I have a friend whose baby is HUGE and she still insists on feeding him every hour at night and of course, he does not sleep through.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:57 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I've heard really good things about the No-Cry Sleep Solution. It was written by Dr Elizabeth Pantley, who wanted her sleep and didn't want her poor little baby to cry.
    If you're really into research, The Science of Parenting by Margot Sunderland has some interesting (and scary, for CIO parents) information about the effects of letting a baby CIO.
    Here's hoping you and baby can each get good rest soon! :)
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2009