How high should a babys temp be when they are teething?

My DD woke up yesterday morning with a 102.1 temp. I took her right to the ER im not one for waiting for tylnoal to work. We got there and the DR there told me that if it is a temp involving teething it should go above 100.1-100.4 Of course she was happy and playing she always is. She was even like that when she had the flu so the DR siad she looks fine and sent us home with no test done. This morning she is still running a 100.6 temp and sometimes spikes up to 102.4 not ever higher. So I just need some insight! She is acting the EXACT same as she did when she had the flu. She had Flu H so im wondering if this could be another strand of the flu, a cold or just teething.

Kenzismommy09

Asked by Kenzismommy09 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say a fever of 102 is not teething. When my kids teethed anything under 100.5 to me was just a low grade temp. If your child runs a fever over this then give them tylenol and watch them for a couple of days. If the fever got over 103.5 then I would call Dr or take them in. Alot of times we take them in and whatever infection it is can not be determined because it is to soon to diagnose.
    As long as the baby is playing and taking fluids and eating small amounts, I would say keep her home and watch her. You are doing good!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Could be a virus. I use Motrin rather than Tylenol. It lasts longer.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Thank You! I try hard not to worry to much and over react but when she got the flu it kinda hit hard that she can get sick lol. She almsot all day yesterday didnt take any fluids but when daddy got home from work she took about 2 oz of juics and today she has drank a full sippy so im so greatfull she is drinking today and she is still eating like normal.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• That does sound alittle too high for teething. I'd call her dr and see if you can get her in to see him. The ER isn't going to be much help.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's just a virus of some sort and you exposed her to even more by taking her to the ER for a low fever. There is no fever with teething.
    Anonymous

• ""Answered at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Anonymous
    It's just a virus of some sort and you exposed her to even more by taking her to the ER for a low fever. There is no fever with teething.""

Why did you really need to be rude? and actually there was no one in the ER when we went and we went right back to a room. and I dont know where you came up with there is no fever from teething. It effects every kid different but they CAN get a low grade fever.
    Kenzismommy09

Answer by Kenzismommy09 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I wasn't rude. I stated facts.

I "came up with" there is no fever from teething because there isn't any fever from teething. In some cases there is a slightly elevated temperature, but there is no fever.
    Anonymous

• Ive always been told by DR's that teething will not cause a temp. A temp is caused by the body temp rising to fight off an infection. I would try to take your child to urgent care or make a DR appt. I never play around with temps no matter how low. You also know if your child is acting different then normal and thats the biggest indicator for me that something is wrong.
    Kenzismommy09

Comment by Kenzismommy09 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jul. 22, 2010