do you think she stripped my membranes?

hi ladies this is a ? about my prev pregnancy. i did do quite a bit of research while pregnant but now i have done so much more & around the time my son was 1, i started thinking that the nurse practitioner might have stripped my membranes without telling me & without my permission. what do you think?

i was 40.5 wks pregnant and i had a pelvic exam. afterwards, the NP said that i might lose my mucus plug over the next couple of days after that, and then i did. and i had my son 3 days later. i don't really think it was the exam and the possible stripping of membranes that put me into labor because i was 41 wks anyway and i think my son was just ready.

but do you think her saying that i might lose my mucus plug meant that she stripped my membranes, or is that something they say after a pelvic exam anyway since just the exams can be disruptive themselves?

btw i'm 9-10 wks now and going to my first prenatal appt tomorrow :)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its very possible that she did. Its very common that NPs and OBs will strip a women's membranes without knowledge or consent. For most women it's a very painful procedure, however if done at an appropriate time, you really wouldn't know any different. Then again, she may not have. That far along in your pregnancy, she probably noticed that your cervix had started to dilate. Once you start to dilate, the mucous plug can't really stay in because there's no longer anything holding it in.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 1:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Whether she did or not.. it's done and over with why worry about it? With you already being that far along I think the actual exam probably help you go into labor.. You would have known if she stripped your membranes, it isn't the most comfortable thing. If the stripping of the membranes was what put you into labor it would have happened a day or so after being done, not 3 or more days..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 11:55 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Most of the time when someone has that done is painful and they(NP/OB) are in there for a lot longer than a regular vaginal exam. So if the NP was not there for very long or you did not experience any pain or discomfort, chances are she didn't do it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2009

• thanks ladies. i do remember it hurting but i don't remember if it hurt more than the usual exam. i'm not really worried about it, just curious, especially wondering if she would really do that without asking me first. because that would make me kind of angry, and i don't want to be angry at her if she didn't even do anything without my permission ;) not that it matters since i live 7 hours south of her now anyway :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• so? what about it? maybe they did or didnt? what are you going to do about it now?
    Anonymous

• anon, i already answered that question 2 posts above yours. thanks ladies for your opinions! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2009