If your water breaks do you go into labor or can nothing happen? like the Mucous plug...

I know your mucous plug coming out doesnt really mean labor, just that youre getting ready for it. But if your water breaks is it the same thing or are you for sure going into labor?

I woke up coughing last night and I had to pee really bad. haha I peed a bit on myself and it just worried me i guess. Now ive been paranoid all day

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it sounds like you peed yourself. :) it is possible to not go into labor right away. it can even be days! for me, i went into labor with an hour or 2 of my water breaking. a big problem is that OBs and midwives can get very rushy with things once your water breaks if you don't go into labor asap because they worry about infection. i watched an episode of the baby story on TLC and the mom was hoping to birth at a birthing center and her water broke and then she didn't go into labor for 48 hours but 48 hours was the limit to be able to birth there at the birthing center, so her labor started just in time!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Within* and hour or 2
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I never went into labor after my water broke, believe me you will know when your water breaks, it is kind of weird, it is like a continous trikle of water. With my first son my water broke at 5 am and they had decided to induce me at 7pm that night, things nothing seemed to be happening. The only real thing that you can depend on when it comes to your water is when it breaks, the baby will be coming soon.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 12:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i agree with PP that you would probably know because you would be having wet undies all day today.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You will know if your water breaks. It's not a one-time thing. It keeps coming! I never went into labor after. I went right to the hospital, it was 9:00 pm and they induced me in the morning.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:17 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• my water broke at 5 am. i didnt have no contactions at 11 am they had to give me pitocin. mine was a tricked, it took me and hour to figured it out
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Yeah, when your water breaks you will know. It will be after you pee and there will be a quick gush then a constant leak and the color will be pinkish. My water broke and 9 hours later I still hadn't started any contractions so I was induced 18 hours later. Some women start having contractions and their water never breaks on its own.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I don't think you peed yourself. The amount of discharged increases immensly and your body can warm it up to a liquid that will drip down your leg, it has happened to me a couple of times but I know from my first pregnancy that it's not my water breaking. You'll know when your water breaks because you'll have to change your pants and you keep leaking a light pink water.
    Anonymous

• yea you will know you feel/hear a pop and then you continuously comes out untill baby comes out..mine broke at 7am and labor started hurting about 45 minutes to an hr later and i had my baby at 9:04pm
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 1:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• my water broke in the grocery store w/ my first. i was pretty sure i didnt just pee, but i wasnt positive. i immediately went home and went to the bathroom and emptied my bladder, and water still continued to trickle, so i called the doctor. with me it was a gush but it still continued to trickle. if it stops, then it was probably just urine. so to answer your question: you will go into labor when your water breaks bc baby needs to come out w/i 24 hours i think... but it may not happen on its own. when my water broke, contractions never did start... and they had to eventually give me pitocin. if youre worried your doctor can check if you are leaking fluid by doing a quick swab down theree. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009