How can I help my 15-month-old learn to take bites out of food?

Like if I give him a full french fry, he'll put the whole thing in his mouth! I'm seen kids younger than him taking bites and holding crackers and things like that.

Or what age is normal for him to start taking bites?

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Still young to grasp what he should be doing correctly. Just cut up his food into small bites for him.

Anonymous

• Yep, I agree. My 2 1/2 year old has only been taking bites reliably for a few months, it seems. She always wants to have things left "big" but she'll eat much more if we cut things into bite-size because I don't think she likes taking the bites. Our little one (14 months) is taking bites. I just don't know if it's something you can teach until they can really understand what you're explaining, and even then, some kids just don't like that sensation or something.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I was eating animal crackers with my daughter- 12 mos- and she would try to put the whole thing in her mouth so I told her "no, take a bite" and then I showed her how by doing it myself with my cracker taking teeny bites in an exaggerated fashion. I probably looked ridiculous but after seeing me do it a few times she got the hint and tried it herself.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009