Gift Basket Business

Thinking about starting a gift basket business, but wondering if there is a need for this. It would be one which would create personalized baskets. So customers would pick out what they wanted or let me know and I would put it together, any thoughts?

JoyceTN

Asked by JoyceTN at 1:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• My mother in law did this type of thing it didn't last very long. I think it might have been poor buisness decisons.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I like the idea. I have heard of such a thing in a resort area- the lady has a website where people can choose from already designed baskets (birthday, shower, child's, etc) and also where they can choose their own items for a few dollars an item, plus the cost of the basket plus shipping, tax, service charge. Be sure you are insured and keep careful records. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 1:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I'm an admin and we order flowers & baskets quite a bit. Gift baskets would be a nice alternative. Don't forget to market to businesses. We order those things more frequently than individuals and you can get repeat business that way.
    Anonymous

• There are some ways you could do this, but generally pre-made ones would sell best. Simply because you could do shows with them and sell them right from the table. It would be something hard to advertise otherwise I would think. I do gift baskets and sell them occasionally. Mostly Tea Party ones, but I will be doing candles soon as well. But the ones that sell best are the ones I do shows with, people don't want to order that kind of thing generally.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Gift baskets can be a very lucrative business. However, do your research first - how much will it cost you to get started: your supplies, delivery costs and your time? How much will you have to sell every month to make more than you spent (profit) and how much time will that take?
    and the big one - how and where will you find your customers, how much will you hcarge and what payment terms will you require?
    There are many gift companies online that offer affiliate programs, where you can sell their products and not have to buy any inventory, and they do all the work.
    If you are looking to only sell your creative baskets, do your research first to make sure it will be profitable for you.
    Many well meaning people jump into their hobby as a business and end up being in debt and disappointed because they didn't look at all the parts that are necessary in a business.
    Wishing you awesome success.
    DolphinChrissy

Answer by DolphinChrissy at 12:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2009