How can i break my 2 year old from the crib to the car bed

I am trying to break my 2 year old from sleeping in the crib cause it is time for my youngest to go to the crib and he is to big to sleep in the crib. My sister told me to keep laying in in the bed and stay with him till he falls asleep but that is not working. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do that.

olafsonmama

Asked by olafsonmama at 1:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Christmas lights!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Tell him it is for babies, and he is a big boy.

Encourage him to want to be a big boy. Make it seem exciting, see your like mommy now you get to sleep in your own bed.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Put him in the bed and take down the crib. Out of sight, out of mind. Don't lay with him or you're going to have to break that habit, too.

Just put him back, put him back, put him back. Follow the same routine at bedtime, lay him in bed and walk out of the room.
    Anonymous

• By "too big" for the crib do you mean he exceeds the weight limits, or that you feel he is too old to be in a crib? When my little one was born, we had thought she would get the crib but our older one wasn't ready to move yet, so we put the little one in the pack n' play, where she stayed happily for 11 months. If you have a pack n' play, I say try that and don't push the older boy out of the crib if he's not ready., If he actually exceeds the weight limits, then I would do what pp said -- put him back, put him back, put him back.

We waited till our older daughter was 2 1/2 and askign to be in a big bed and we had no probs with the transition -- she won't even get out of her twin bed unless we come and get her!!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• just keep putting him in the bed. if he gets out, without words, put him back in. repeat until he falls asleep. THe longer he's gotten away with his way, the longer it'll take. Like others said, keep the crib out of his room at least for now so he's not tempted. Also, get neat sheets or bedding for his bed too. Be consistant and keep with it.
    Anonymous