Is this going to hurt my milk supply??

I have noticed that during the day I have him latched primarily on the left side in the football position so that (being right-handed) I can get stuff done during the day still. Then at night I lay on my right-hand side and feed him from the right breast in bed. Is this going to hurt my supply since half of the day he is on one side and the other half the other side? I heard that you should switch ever feeding, but that just does not work well for me. He's still getting both sides, and at the moment he is definitely getting enough, but what about in the long run??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may effect you, it may not. Some women HAVE to nurse this way to control an oversupply... but, likewise, if you don't have an overproduction problem it can reduce your supply.

Whenever a breast sits full for long periods of time, your body gets the message to slow down on milk production. It make work out to where to make milk in your left during the day, and right at night... or it may impact overall supply. No way to tell right now.

Do you have a boppy? I used to lay both my boys in the boppy and have my hands free to do whatever. A sling or wrap will work the same way...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• so doesn't the other side get engorged when you don't use it? that's why i think they tell you to switch.... so you won't be swollen and drippy
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• OP here - I do not get engorged. Never have. I do have a boppy though it just doesn't help all the time. I will look into a sling/wrap though thank you.
    Anonymous

• If it works for you stick with it I will bet your body will adjust. If you start having problems start on the side you want then finish on the other if needed
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• my 3 week old DS feeds one breast per feeding. i started with a tremendous over supply. I had to do this in order for him not to scream. Just keep an eye on your baby. His/her face and reaction will tell you whether your milk is running low. If it starts going low, adapt. If things are working out for baby and you, there would be no reason to change.
    Anonymous