Breastfeeding versus going back to work??

Okay so I am at a total loss right now. I have just gotten my lil guy to be mostly BF'd (I was supplementing due to NICU & supply issues). Finally I am able to only FF 2-3oz twice a day & am working on getting to EBFing. But now comes the problem...I need to go back to work. We are struggling really bad right now & there is no way I can stay home like I want because we need the money. However, I cannot pump to save my life. I can barely coat the bottom of the bottle after pumping both boobs, so there is no way I can get enough to feed him while I'm away! What am I suppose to do?? Do I give in & keep up the formula?? I'm really struggling with this! This is tearing at my heart so bad right now...along with just the anxiety & hurt that I have to go back to work as it is...any advice would be great...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say will eventually have to give in to some formula any way and there is nothing to be sorry about. I know how very hard it is to have to give up breastfeeding for work. I have been there and done that. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. It just broke my heart. I agree that you can still feed while you are home. before work after work and a night feeding. That will work for a few months. I also agree the type pf pump has something to do with it. I thought I couldn't afford a hospital grade pump with my first so I gave up breast feeding full time at 3 months old. I later found out I could get a a great medela pump on ebay for 80 dollars! It saved me with my second. You have to do what you need to do. You will miss your Breastfeeding time but remember you can bottle feed eye to eye skin to skin as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I breastfed for 23 months and worked full time. I pumped at work, evenings and weekends. The did have to supplement with formula once in a while when I could not pump enough, but she had at least 85% breastmilk during the week while I worked and 100% breastmilk when I was home.

You need to do what is best for your family. Financial security is critical.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Well if you cant pump then youw ill probly have to give some formula unless you are close enough to leav ework and BF. I would BF morings and eveninga nd night. Sorry you are in this situation!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• This is what I did. Starting at about 2 weeks I dropped i BF feeding during the day and substituted formula. After a week or so I dropped another during the day. I did this until I was BF in the morning, evenings and all night. My body only produced milk at those times. I never had to pump. It really worked out great for us. I did it with 2 kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• What pump, used when? Makes a difference.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing though. Nurse when you're home, formula when you're not. No need to make this difficult. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• By the way...one ounce per hour of separation is all you need.

• I've heard that some people have a very difficult time with pumping and it just won't allow there body to let down because it's too artificial. Thankfully I didn't have that problem.
    If you havent tried hand expression I would give that a shot. I would practice at home because when I tried it it was pretty messy... but I don't think it's suppose to be, I think you just need to figure out how to do it.
    There is tons of info and video's on the web that teach how to do it. It's supposed to get your breasts more empty than a pump even!
    If you don't have a quality pump I would see about renting a hospital grade one and see if that solves the problem too.
    If it doesn't work out just offere formula while you are gone... your body will adjust. Feed right away in the morning and as soon as you get home (ask whoever that watches him to try not to feed him within 2 hours of you picking him up because otherwise you'll be in pain!)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I would calculate the cost before you make a decision. The cost of formula for a growing child, the cost of day care. The cost of transporting you to work, the cost of eating away from home. If you still come out ahead finacially being at work, unfortunately work is prolly your best choice. But if it comes close or does break even or worse, then either get a job that does come out ahead or stay home. BM is free and so is the cost of daycare and the transportation to get there if you stay at home.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I have a Medela manual pump & an Ameda electric - neither get very much at all. As in, it takes me 2days to get an ounce via the manual pump, & about a full day to get an ounce via the electric. I have tried mornings, afternoons, evening, right after feeding, an hour after feeding, right before feeding, etc. I work retail full-time so I will be gone at least 9hrs a day...it would take me at least 9days to pump enough for just one work day! I guess I'll just have to let him FF while I'm gone & nurse only when I'm home...it's just so hard to accept after trying so hard to wean him I guess...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Since formula is not an all the time thing, I just use what I get from WIC (so it's also free). Also, care is free through family. So therefore we come out way ahead with me at work, unfortunately.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2009