Any studies on THC and breastmilk?

I am in a tough situation and would like to know if there is any study on THC and breastmilk. Now, before you jump down my throat, I would like to put in that I am on medical marijuana and have been for 7 years now. It is to treat my inability to feel appitite as well as my excrutiating migraines. During pregnancy I tried to go all natural due to the lack of studies done with THC and pregnancy, but two weeks in (between week 12 and week 14) I had lost 26 pounds and had been bed-ridden for the whole duration due to not being able to eat and my migraines being so bad, so my doctor talked to a high risk doctor and they agreed it was best for me to continue with my medical marijuana (which is mostly through edibles like THC enhanced butter). I was told it is up to me to decide about breastfeeding vs. formula feeding, but first I'd like to know if there are any known studies (I cannot find any). Can anyone help out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out this link: http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/resources/breastfeeding/breastfeeding08.htm

Info on milk levels and a study done on smoking vs. non smoking moms (the smoking moms babies scored HIGHER on developmental testing).

Really, it's so controversial... it's a tough subject. I say, go with your gut. You can read everything in the world, but go with your gut.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• There is information on kellymom.com on marijuana and breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/marijuana.html

This is about all there is. But having had it during pregnancy is FAR more significant than having it while breastfeeding.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You asked for advice and not even your doctor seems to want to give it so as a child development professional I will, but it is your decision and this is just one, albeit experienced and educated, opinion so here goes......formula feed. In a typical situation breastmilk is best but your's is not typical.
    Formula is as close as human hands can make it to breastmilk. If you wouldn't give your infant the THC directly, don't risk passing it on this way either. You may find no study which says 'Don't do it, it's dangreous!' but how will you feel if that study comes out too late to prevent the damage to your baby's brain development?
    You have a choice, so I would say err on the side of caution and don't do it.
    Red1967

Answer by Red1967 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I've found studys showing that THC actually speeds development in some areas. Seeing as you're using primarily THC enhanced food some of the biggest worries (extra CO2 in your blood and reduced blood flow) aren't involved. Breastfeeding is best for your baby and it's healthy for you too. If you're really uncomfortable with it then don't breastfeed. Really though I think the most "harm" it will cause is making your little one a little more lethargic after feedings. Are longer naps really such a bad thing?
    Anonymous

• Is it worth taking the chance of the drug affecting the baby?
    Anonymous

• As someone who recreationally (SP) uses marijuana, I can speak from experience, but not as an expert. I breastfed 2 children. Neither of them had any reaction or effect connected with recreational marijuana use. Smoked, and occasionally ingested. I'm not advising you either way, just offering up a real life situation. Due to unwelcome comments and threats in the past, I regret that I must post this anonymously.
    Anonymous