When did you take your child off the bottle?

My daughter is 13 months. My mother is always making comments that it's time to get off the bottle. I see no problem with it for now, but out of curiosity, when did your little one stop the bottle? Did you wean or stop cold turkey? How did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL—I'm still waiting for the right time. I don't think it's a big deal, as long as the kid is also learning how to use a sippy, an open cup, and cups with straws. I don't know what magic makes the bottle a big deal. I mean, sippies aren't much different, are they?
    Anonymous

• WIth all 3 of my boys, it was about 12 months. They gave it up cold turkey! They had an easy time though.
    Anonymous

• As soon as they turned one. It was fine with all 3 of them.
    Anonymous

• My son was 3 1/2. He loved it so much I didn't have the heart to take it away. By that point he was only having water in it at night. One day he told me "bottles are for babies, I a big boy" and he threw it away!! He never had another one. It was great. My other son was 15 months and was never really attached to it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• the day she turn one. cold turkey.no problem she didnt even cry
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• As soon as they could walk they moved up to a sippy cup cold turkey.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 3:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Honestly it all depends on how much they use the bottle and their teeth. The nipples arent healthy for their teeth which is why doctors always tell us to take em off bottles after a yr. In my case my 14mth old started drinkin in cups at 6mths and would only drink out his bottle at nite once he was around 9mths so once he turned 11mths I took it away and it didnt phase him at all. Good luck
    Bellisimarose

Answer by Bellisimarose at 3:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Mine is on sippy cups and hes almost 1, it took me months to find one that was good for him....but now bottles are rare...hes good at drinking out of water bottles but we havent tried open cups very much, he thinks those are funny! so they make a mess right now!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• All 4 of mine as soon as they turned 1.
    mom2four25

Answer by mom2four25 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 11 months...my dd did great : ) ...I personally don't see a problem with a baby using it after a year but most people do. Do whatever you want : ) xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009