My 23 month old does not want to sit in the buggy at Walmart. We got one of those baby leashes and it works good. But she wants to go one way and im trying to go another and it makes grocery shopping twice as long. How can i get her to sit in the buggy?

I can't leave her with anyone b/c my hubby works during the day, My MIL works too, and both pairs of grandparents are either deaf or blind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her a bagel. That's what I do with my kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Tell her ahead of time that when you get there, she needs to sit in the cart. This way she knows what to expect (and giving her a bagel sounds like a good idea, too!)
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Id tell her to get in and give her a little bag of snacks. Cerial, gummie bears, teddy grahms, something that will take her attention off of you shopping for a little while, but nothing too sticky or messy. I usually do that with grocery shopping. Then I tell them if they're good I'll get them a treat at the register. Either that or I put them in the buggy and when I get to something minor on my shopping list i tell them to point to the one I sould get (no veggies or anything major) , juices or noodles or things like that. Then they don't feel like you're ignoring them.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 3:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• She needs to learn to walk with you. I'd focus on that. It's great to distract her, and that's a good thing, too. However, at that age, I do expect my kids to walk next to me holding my hand.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Try a cheap cdplayer with a headset that she can listen to while sitting in a cart - make it available only on rare shopping days plus that bagel - the day before known shopping and that morning, and in parking lot and in mall explain rules and if she's rude that you have to leave the store whatever store it is. Is there a trusted church member, if you go to church, you could ask to watch her sometimes so you could shop alone?

I left stores more than one time plus delayed entering stores with misbehaving kids. Be consistent now and don't reward her behavior by buying anything for being good - that will make her demanding to get something every time.

Just remember for yourself to stay calm, dont scream at her. That age is the age of ME for kids.
    No matter what looks you get from any person, maybe that person doesn't have kids or can't remember BUT that person who's staring at you was a toddler themselves!!!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:54 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My little ones are the same way. They are 3 & 4 now. I can take the 4 yr old now but still the 3 yr old wont stay seated. I just wait & go when my husband is home to watch them or make him go w/ me & the little ones go in the double stroller while i push the shopping cart.
    Anonymous

?? She's not even 2 yet. How can you expect an almost 2 year old to do all of that walking?
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 4:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My 13m old is the same way. Like some of the previous posters said, little snacks help a TON! Would your child like to "help" shop - like help putting a box of cereal in the cart, or picking (from two approved choices) type of snack for the week? Just a thought. And I love the idea of the music & headphones - I'm trying that one when mine gets older!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 4:10 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Get her a special toy, perhaps a stuffed animal that is strictly a 'in the buggy lovey' I do NOT recommend food, you do not want to teach your child to self-medicate or comfort herself with food, this will set her up for eating disorders her whole life.
    Red1967

Answer by Red1967 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• ?? She's not even 2 yet. How can you expect an almost 2 year old to do all of that walking?

That's what she's doing with a harness. ?? Why put her in the cart if she wants to walk AND you can make it safe for her? She's going to need to learn to walk next to mommy and hold hands, and I think it's better taught sooner rather than later.

If mom wants her to sit in the buggy, that's fine, too. She has said walking isn't an option because of how she runs away. I presented another option - allowing her to walk, but safely.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009