What effect do you think the healthcare bill will have on hospitals?

...And yes, I have changed my mind now and am against it. A lot of things were changed and although I still think that Americans need all the help we can get, and that something is better than nothing, I openly admit that I had some confusion over the bill that I once supported.

What do you think will happen with hospitals, and the workers if this bill is succeds?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 4:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not likely to succeed as to many democrats are against it as written. The vote was just to open debate.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Hospitals will reduce services to meet government guidelines. There will be penalties for doing too much "unnecessary" testing/procedures. Meanwhile service reduction means staff reduction, especially when they will be locked into plans that limit what they can charge.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Yes NP..and I know all about understaffed hospitals ..I live in the country and the cloest hospital is a 40 min drive..there are 3 within a 40 min drive surrounding me..and all three were understaffed for years within the last several yrs it has gotten better...if this bill passes I guess it will go backwards again
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i think if we get universal health care, it will help the hospitals and they will not be so overcrowded. i have friends who do not have health insurance, and do you know what they do everytime they get sick or something happens? they cant go to the doctors, so they call 911 and go to the emergency room! and then we pay for it with or taxes.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Since we're all moms, I was wondering how this bill would affect those of us who still planning on having more children--in terms of labor and delivery! Will there be more vaginal births as opposed to c-sections--as the latter is a major surgery, and MUCH more costly--and we can't have that! (sarcasm)

And what about post-partum time in the hospital? As it is most insurance companies and hospital policy dictates that no more than 48 hours are permitted for vaginal births, and no more than 96 hours for c-sections. What about pain medication, epidurals, pitocin (induction), and IVs--all of which costs money and staff time? What will all of this do to malpractice insurance rates for OB/GYNs it CAN'T be good!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Purpulbetterfly, you DO realize we AREN'T getting universal health care? The bill is NOT universal health care, but health care reform. It will expand Medicaid a bit, but if you don't qualify for Medicaid, you will be required by law to purchase your own insurance. You can either purchase insurance on the open market, OR you can buy the government plan, which costs $15,000 a year for a family. This plan has a deductible and co-pays, just like regular insurance. A small percentage of the population will have their insurance subsidized to some extent.

Your uninsured friends will still have to pay for insurance, it won't be free.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I wont have an effect because it will not get passed. They cant agree on anything....
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Purpulbetterfly, you DO realize we AREN'T getting universal health care?

She does not. She doesn't realize a lot of things. She hasn't even figured out yet how babies are made.
    Anonymous

• I know all about understaffed hospitals

As of right now, our closest hospital has laid off in every area, the next closest hospital has shut down completely - they kept the E/R open until this month and now that's gone too. Meanwhile they are funneling as many laid off people as they can into healthcare programs at every college in the state. Those people aren't going to have jobs when they graduate, the experienced ones who were just cut from the two hospitals will be lucky if THEY have jobs by then.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I have two friends who are doctors who are looking at a career change. I have 1 friend who is a PA who will change careers. I have several RN friends who are worried. That is what will happen to hospitals.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009