recieving blankets..

what exactly are recieving blankets used for? i have been told that they are like swaddlers for the baby (you rap them up in it)...but im just curious what everyone else use them for bc i have ALOT of them lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh man, you can use them for EVERYTHING. To wrap the baby in, to use as a burp cloth, to have around in case the baby spits up (or other ummm....leakage problems), to use as a light blanket in a stroller, to use as a make shift changing pad, you name it. Believe me, you can never have too many of those!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• They are nice because they are so easy to wash. I put them around a new baby for a light wrap, or even over the baby when he was in the crib as a light cover. They also work for burp cloths or for a little protection on the carpet if the baby is every laid down there or the furniture. I always found them handy to have around. They didn't fill up the washer and weren't as bulky as a big towel or blanket.

Answer by Bmat at 4:41 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• My daughter HATED to be swaddled. People gave us TONS of receiving blankets. I mean we now have a HUGE Tupperware filled with them lol. My daughter is now 2 and a half and we never used them. I am pregnant with our second baby and I am going to us them to make cloth wipes and stuff. I will save a few in case the new baby likes to be swaddled. Then if I have any left over I will donate them.
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I used them as burp cloths. I like it that they are big and you can fold the once and lay them on your lap to burp your baby or over your shoulder :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I hated them and had no use for them. My girls get more use out of playing with them with their dolls than I did with all 3 combined. The only real use I got was to lay them over the crib sheet, so if baby spit up or had a diaper leak in the night, I wouldn't have to change the whole bed. I preferred the bigger blankets, specifically "homemade" ones made out of the flannel fabric from Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby, or other fabric stores - 3yds makes a large square double layer blanket plus the extra makes a few burp rags (yes, I make them myself). They were always my favorite, and as they got older the fleece tie-blankets were my favorite, til they were big enough for a twin bed & comforter. I LOVED the big flannels with my babies and everyone I give one to as a baby gift raves, and most ask for another one!
    Anonymous

• I had always heard that you can never have too many receiving blankets but after my first baby, I quickly learned that statement is not true! I only had about 12 and that was WAY too many! I cut them up into little sections (about 12 per blanket) and used them to put under my son's chin when I fed him so that the breastmilk (he was bottle fed but I pumped) didnt drip down his neck. Since he was too little for bibs at the start, those things worked great for that! I also used them as burb cloths but folding the receiving blanket in 1/4.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:08 PM on Nov. 24, 2009