• In the Spotlight:

How do you get the smell of cigarrette smoke out of a car seat cover?

I left my son's extra car seat in my husband's parents van and I forgot that they smoke in their van. I just got the seat back and it really stinks. I need to get it clean because I am giving the seat to my Mom tomorrow and I don't want to get yelled at.

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 4:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Depending on how strong the smell is, and how much time you have until you see your mom, I can offer a couple of ideas.
    First, is it machine washable or hand washable? if so, I'd try that first. If not, then maybe sprinkle a little baking soda on it and use a stiff brush to work it into the fabric and let it sit overnight. If that doesn't work, or you don't have the time for it, try a little febreze. Be sure to let it dry and if you still smell cigarette smoke, spray again and put it outside and let it air out. I hope these help you, and that your mom won't be too upset with you. It was an honest mistake that you forgot it!
    Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• if the cover isnt removable/washable then Id leave it outside or in the garage for fresh air. Febreze helps too. Before you put it outside Id get a little bit of soap water and lightly hand wash it. Spray the febreze before mom gets it
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It is not machine washable so I put it in the bathtub with super hot water and some Dreft. Baking soda is a good idea.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 5:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• vinegar will help to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:33 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• For the plastic/metal parts, wipe them down with a soft cloth dampened with a solution of half rubbing alcohol, half water. The alcohol dissolves smoke residue.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2009