How do i get my 2yr old to play/like his baby brother?

My 2yr old still doesn't like his baby brother (6months old). I'm looking for suggestions of how to get him to play with him, so that maybe he will start to like him a bit more. Note: he has never done anything to hurt the baby, just ignores him. The baby thinks big brother hung the moon and if he could move would follow him all around the house.

jackjackpac

Asked by jackjackpac at 5:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give him time. The baby really doesn't do anything that would interest a two year old boy right now. I was two when my younger brother was born, and I had no use for him at all. I wanted to send him back! As the baby grows, your older son will begin to get more involved with him, especially as the baby becomes mobile and begins to play with noisy toys. When that stage hits, you'll be wishing they were ignoring each other! Maybe you can make your older son your helper with the baby- have him bring you diapers, clothes, etc to help him feel involved and interested in the baby.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:20 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Buy a toy at the dollar store. Give it to your toddler and tell him its from the baby and make a big deal about how much the baby loves him and what a good job he is doing. I know! You cant buy love, but maybe just this once.
    When my LO was 6 mo, he loved to watch my toddler chase bubbles. I would ensure my toddler what a good brother he was. You can try any activities but just gush about how your toddler is so wonderful.
    When the baby cries, tell your todd "The baby doesnt want mommy, he wants you!" See how that goes.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• The toy could help...time definitely will. Toddlers would be only children if they could. I spent some time trying to convince my paretns to send my brother back to the adoption agency.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 6 month olds are cute to us -- but boring from the perspective of a toddler. My girls are 15.5 months apart... when the little one was 9 months and crawling and the older just two, they started making one another laugh a lot. Of course, then the toy wars began... lol. Just talk to your 2 y.o. about the baby a lot, point out the cute/funny things the little one does, and involve him in taking care of the baby. He'll get there. I'm sure they'll be the best of friends, the worst of enemies soon enough :)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009