potty training

I don't know anything else to do to get my 3 year old potty trained. He will go if you are using the bathroom. But beyond that, you can ask and ask and he just goes in his pants. It gets old. I have a 4 month old and another baby on the way I need to get him potty trained, plus I want him to go to preschool next August. We've been working on it since March.He was doing good then the baby came and he just stopped. What I really don't get is he will do it for my dad constantly! But for me, it's a rare deal. I'm lost. We've tried sticker chart, treats, celebrate dance. Nothing seems to work.

angeleyes0306

Asked by angeleyes0306 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he wear diapers or pull ups? My niece did that when I got pregnant; she would go at Granny and Pappy's because they paid lots of attention to her while she did it, but nowhere else. Then her parents both lost their jobs briefly, got tired of changing a three year old's diapers, and put her in panties. It took a week after that; she doesn't like feeling icky, and she didn't geet as much positive attention for peeing in her panties as she did when she was in diapers. This was also the same time as her "i want to be a baby again and get lots of holding and attention like baby maggie" phase. She decided being a big girl is more fun. Maybe your son wants to be your baby again?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I agree; make sure he is not in diapers or pull-ups, because if he is he has no reason to potty train. If he's in undies, watch him closely and when he starts to go, move him to the potty. Over and over and over again for a day or two, rewarding every time even a little pee makes it in. Remind him that pee goes in the potty each time, but don't make a big deal of the accidents. I think he will get it quickly if he knows this is just the way it is now. Clear expectations (you have to use the potty because you have no more diapers), along with showing him the connection between the pee and the potty every single time (without forcing him to sit on the potty -- they can see that as time out of sorts) are the key things, IMO. If you do it a day when your SO is around or someone else is around to help with the baby, this should work quickly. You have to get him to the potty EVERY TIME he starts to pee or poop. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2009