is the diaper to small or to big?

she poohs right out of her diaper! buther butt doesn't show .. but i think i got a bigger size and then it stopped..well its started again it comes out the sides the front and some times the back what is making this happen ... or dose she just have a strong pooper?

Zandrialeann

Asked by Zandrialeann at 5:22 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is called a blow out....lol...and all babies have them...i could tell if it was to small if it came under their belly button..that was about the time they started leaking...however, sometimes blow outs are not preventable...
    Anonymous

• Switch to cloth. We don't get blowouts.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Poop explosions usually have nothing to do with diaper size. If it's bad enough that it gets all over everything, it would have happened regardles of size.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Um....nice to know your kid is perfect LeanneC. Cloth diapers can have blowouts just as well as disposable.
    Anonymous

• Blow=outs happen, wearing soaker pants over the diaper may help contain it some but they are unavoidable. This is assuming, of course, that your baby isn't having a lot of actual diarreha (sp) in which case you need to consult your doctor.
    Red1967

Answer by Red1967 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's not my kid... he makes PLENTY of poop, nice runny breastfed baby poop... it's the diapers. I'm not kidding, ask anyone who uses (modern) cloth diapers. Blowouts may happen occasionally with cloth, but not nearly as often (and never for us in 8 months of using them).

The elastic around the legs and back is much stronger and the poop just doesn't get out as easily.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I must say that in the 12ish months that I've used cloth, I don't recall any blowouts that made it out of the diaper either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• All babies don't have have, mine never did, but a majority of babies do. It is called a "Blow out" and it's just an excessive amount of stool that fills the diaper. Unfortunatley your baby seems to have quite a few of them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• The problem may not be with the size of the diaper, but with the brand.

I've always had that trouble with Huggies, but never any other brand. Every baby is different and some brands just fit others better. Try a different brand. My DD wore the generic Target diaper well and Walmart's Parents Choice. She was allergic to Pampers and Luvs did ok, but not as well as the generics. My DS did great with Pampers and Luvs. Parents Choice didn't fit him quite right and the Target diaper did great. But with both kids, Huggies leaked poop out of the legs no matter what I did.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Having worked with infants for 20 years, cloth diapers or disposable both are gonna leak occasionally. Cloth are actually a much bigger PITA to clean up after.
    Red1967

Answer by Red1967 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2009