HELP!!! I need to quit smoking, 5 weeks pregnant! ( No bashing, I am quitting. no questions asked )

It's not so much as an addiction anymore but the habitual hand-to-mouth is what is nerve racking. What did you do to quit smoking with your pregnancy? I don't need a RX because like I said its not really the addiction as it is habitual, what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was facing the same problem you are when I found out I was pregnant. Honestly, I was PRAYING for morning sickness, or a sudden aversion to the smell/taste of tobacco, but that never happened, heh. What helped me was having lollipops around, and sucking on one of those whenever I would usually have a smoke... Not quite the healthiest way of doing it, I'm sure, but hey, it worked! Just make sure you have something you can hold, and suck on (ha ha, the possibilities for a dirty joke here are endless). Good luck!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i smoked menthol....so i chewed lots of menthol type gum....and i would eat lots of those little dumb dumb suckers for the hand to mouth....it worked for me.....it was hard but it worked...
    Anonymous

• i just stopped. when i first found out i was pregnant i gave myself a deadline.... i said ok i'll make my appt (which was about a week later) and ill stop after that appt. it was hard and that didnt work... so i said ok i'll buy one more pack and when thats gone then i'm done... and that is what i did. it was 3 years ago... and i havent smokes since. i still have to urge to sometimes, but it isnt worth it. good luck!
    Anonymous

• The moment i found out i quit. Just the thought of smoke going inside my body with my unborn child made me feel horrible. So i havent smoked since the day i found out. Im not saying i havent craved one but like i said i just thought about what it could do to my child and picked which is worth it. Some women have more trouble than that. Some dont even quit at all. It was real easy for me.
    Anonymous

• Cinnamom sticks and suckers helped a friend of mine. With the cinnamom stick just hold it like you would a cig. and puff away. ;) GL! You can do it! For me it was both the addiction and just the habit of hand to mouth but the smell of cigs at 5 weeks preg. made me throw up so I was instantly turned off from smoking with no prob. both times. I wish I had never started back! GL!
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 5:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I have suckers lol. My hubby brought some home with him the other day. It's hard because I have my bad days too... Especially with a screaming toddler! Dum Dums would probably better though cause these that I have are big suckers and I want a cigarette like every 2 hours and hell it takes me an hour to finish one of these lol. Oh well, I AM going to quit!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I use to go sit on the same steps that I would sit on to smoke and either suck a sucker or eat sunflower seeds for about 5 minutes. I dont think my addiction was to the tobaco either, I think that mine was the time away from the kids! So I still gave myself that time but without the cigarette
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 6:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Thanks ladies, I usually hate asking questions on here because you get bashing. Ugh. I hate that, hints why I posted anonymously. You all have been great!!! And just for that I hope all of your kids are cute :) LOL
    Anonymous

• Do your best to cut back for now and go from there. I smoked while pregnant but only a few a day. Iknow its horrible but I also know how my body has reacted to withdraw from it before and my ob said that the withdraw can do more damage than quitting all together. Lots of luck!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• The only thing I can think of for the hand to mouth is lollipops.
    I would go outside to my "smoking spot" on the deck with a lollipop and sit for 10 minutes just to get the "kid break". I swear I was more addicted to THAT than the cigarette.
    Anonymous