How can I get my 13 month old to sleep all night in his own bed?

He wakes up 2 hours after I put him to bed and will not go back to sleep unless he is in my bed. I have tried everything. I have tried putting him back to sleep in his bed and he wakes back up almost instantly. I have tried letting him cry hisself to sleep and it doesnt work....he is still crying and playing at an hour and a half later. I dont know what else to try or do. Please give me some suggestions! Thanks ladies =)

Mommy2beOct12

Asked by Mommy2beOct12 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Great article on how to do this on drjaygordon.com...search the site for "sleep."

Answer by gdiamante at 6:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Are you putting him in his bed already asleep? Like nursing or rocking him to sleep? If so that may be your problem... Ignore this if you're putting him to bed wide awake, but if you're not, then he still does not know how to put himself to sleep in the first place, which is why when he rouses from sleep like we all do, he's not capable of getting back to sleep. What I would suggest is something we did much earlier-- like around 5 months -- so I'm not sure how it would work in your situation. So ignore this if you're putting him to bed wide awake. We kept everything about the night routine consistent, except we switched the order slightly so that instead of reading books and then turning out lights to nurse, we would do: bath, then nursing (with lights on), then brushing teeth, the a book or two, THEN we'd dim the lights and rock/sing a little. I'd put her down calm but still awake. Instead of crying, she'd just talk...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:55 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• ... herself to sleep. So she never cried it out or anything. After a few nights of this she would still wake up periodically, but she'd either fuss just a little or even talk herself to sleep... until finally she just stopped waking up to nurse, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i put him to bed aready asleep because I had tried laying him down awake and it didnt work.....but your way is a little different so I might try it. Thank you
    Mommy2beOct12

Answer by Mommy2beOct12 at 6:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It wont kill them to let them cry ......
    Anonymous