Would you ever refuse to be friends with someone who has different political views from you?

My daughter is in Girl Scouts and two of the other mothers have even told the leader that they don't like me because of my politics. My crime? I have political bumper stickers on my car from the election last year.

Every so often I think I should peel them off, even though I never remember when it's daylight. The leader actually has similar views to me, so she told me in confidence that one of the moms had said that she just wanted to rip the stickers off of my car. Then, I admit, I changed my mind about taking them off. I left them there.

So, would you really react this way to a mom whose kids regularly spend time with your kids in a group outside of school? The troop is only four girls, all in 6th grade, and they all get along well.

MonicaE521

Asked by MonicaE521 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My best friend has opposite political views, but we are able to respect each other and our differing views. I think it's rude of this mother to state she wanted to rip the bumper stickers off your car and that she didn't like you for your political views. There is more to a person than just that one thing.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 8:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Nope. Never. And I live in a community where some people still have Bush/Cheney stickers. Honestly I have better things to do with my time than worry about that.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• No my best friend is a lib. We argue politics sometimes, but no matter what we are there for each other.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:06 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I don't think I'd be friends with those mothers (what can I say, I'm pretty passionate about politics, and somebody with a completely opposing view would just irritate the snot out of me), but I wouldn't stop my children from playing with theirs... That's going a bit too far.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Sounds like ypu have a very balanced, albeit very small troop.
    Let the girls have their group-hopefully you can all keep it scout focused.
    No other 6th grade girls interested??
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• We are polite ladies in superficial situations.

If you don't like their politics, you don't have to invite them over, etc.

This lady was impolite.
    If I were advertising my politics, I would be prepared to deal with people who are overly animated about the subject.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I will be honest (if anonymous!) and say that I have a difficult time with it simply because when you have 2 people with extremely different political views, it usually translates into a vastly different overall worldview. I am a conservative/libertarian type, and my old best friend from school is now a self-declared socialist who doesn't feel that Obama is far leftie enough...I have to admit, I think very much less of her when I hear her say things like that. I just think "God you're stupid". It's just one of the reasons she and I have grown apart.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:19- Another reason that the 2 of you may have drifted is she likely feels the exact same way about your opinions as well. I guess she's really no longer your friend if you consider HER stupid (vs her ideas). Who needs a friend who thinks they're stupid?????

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Of course not!

Answer by older at 7:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Doesn't it depend on what you want/expect from a friendship?

I could only be acquaintances with someone who believes in abortion, taxing people to death to make sure every creature comfort is provided for for the less industrious, etc.,.

It's one thing to think someone is friendly.
    It really would be another to overlook someone's complete worldview.
    how would you have a frieindship that way?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2009