Parents of 2-3 year-olds who get out of bed/room at night...

My 2 1/2 year-old daughter does NOT get out of her bed, even though she's not in a crib. It's as though she never fully realized that when she moved from crib to twin bed, she is free to move about the cabin. Seriously, we never ONCE told her she had to stay in bed; but of course we love it. Here's the issue... she's not wearing a pull-up to bed anymore, but she is waking up once in the night to pee... which means she's yelling for us. She shares a room with her 14 month-old sister, so this is never ideal. When she was in a diaper, we trained her not to yell for us in the morning but to talk quietly to herself until we came to get her (about 30 minutes later, usually), but now with no diapers, we pretty much have to go right in there to help her keep from having an accident. Here's the question: should we actually train her to get out of bed and come to us or go to the b.r. on her own or avoid that at all possible costs?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 7:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at 2 1/2, have her get out of bed and come to you. my son is that age, and i know when he ends up in the bathroom by himself (cuz dumb me sometimes forgets to close the door all the way) ALL the toilet paper ends up in the toilet, of course stopping it up, and then the sink becomes a water play area.

if you're sure she won't play in it, you can put a small potty in her room so she can get up and go in that. but like i said, be for sure she won't play in it. i dont' do that cuz i know my son would play in it. anything just to stay out of having to go to bed lol. he's not night trained yet, so i just have him knock on his door, crack it open and quietly call me so i can get up and bring him potty in the morning. (i'm a light sleeper)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• You could do that also make her go potty before she goes to bed, maybe that would help.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 7:29 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• ummmm..My dd is 3 and her room is right next to ours so She always comes into our room and gets me and says momma I gotta go peepee....So yes If you can train her to come and get you instead of you going to her and so on and waking the other baby then I would...By the time we have anothr child she will be getting up and going to potty herself! But she is to the point were she will go by herself but sometimes still needs my help to go potty! I strogly suggest to have her come get you
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 9:28 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• if she's still waking up in the night to pee, why not continue the pull-ups? we used them on my SD until she was about 3 1/2 and only stopped because we had run out and it had been a few months since she had wet them.

i'd say train her to come get you or go by herself. my SD can use the bathroom by herself without playing around, but usually she doesn't wake up in time at night. lately she's been not waking us up when she pees in her bed, so we are working on making sure she tells us so we can change her and the sheets.
    level1fevi

Answer by level1fevi at 10:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Level1fevi, I don't understand... if she's waking up to pee, continue the pull-ups? Have her pee consciously in her pull-up and sit unnecessarily in a wet pull-up? I'll take her to the potty if she's waking up and needing to go. I guess I just wondered if we would be opening up a can of worms with unanticipated consequences if we taught her to come out of her room when she's not doing it already... like bedtime or morning issues. But it doesn't sound like that's coming to anyone's mind... Maybe we'll try it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:56 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Well I would put a potty next to the bed fo rher to use. You can take it out in the morning of needed but then she wont have to get out of the room if she sees it she may be more likly to use it!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:25 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• thats hard! maybe you guys can teach her to just open the door and ask for mommy/daddy and wait there patiently while you guys get to her? she wont technically be leaving the bedroom and she wont be yelling either. maybe even get those walkie talkie things.. omg- i cannot remember the name of it-- parents use it for babies who sleep in a different room, so they can hear the kid when it starts to cry...? lol someone has to remember. (those one-way things. wow, i really feel stupid).. anyways, leave it by her bed so she can grab it and be like mommy, i need to go pee. so she's still in her bed, not screaming and you guys can hear her....?

do you not want her out of her room at night- like you dont want her to go to the bathroom by herself, thinking she can have free roam of the household while mom/dad is sleeping? lol or you just want to be there/aware of it, for safety reasons?
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 8:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009