What is the main power source behind our heart??How many people believe it is God?

Some people doubt that God exsists but if you think about your heart what is the power source that keeps it going??I believe it is a great power like God but I told my husband this and he thinks your brain keeps your heart beating and I told him what about people that are brain dead???I have an awesome faith is God and believe he is the main power of our hearts...just was wanting to know how many have an opinion on this and have you ever thought about this???

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree...God gives us our every breath.
    Anonymous

• Your heart is a muscle. so you thing God makes your legs move to?

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• In response to brain death, in a person who is brain dead the higher brain functions (ie. thought, consciousness) are no longer functioning but the brain stem, which controls the autonomous nervous system, continues to function, at least for awhile. Thus breathing, heartrate, digestion, and other involuntary responses take place even without higher brain function.

I don't totally disagree with what you're saying- I tend to be a pantheist and view God as the energy that makes up the universe- including the energy that animates us. I just don't happen to conceptualize God as a personified deity or think that this personified deity is micromanaging us in any way.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I'm an agnostic atheist. While I don't 100% discount the possibility of there being a higher power, I don't personally believe in a higher power. I believe that in bare, stripped-down scientific medical terms, the heart is just an organ that is necessary for a human to live. If your heart isn't working, either by your own doing or by a machine, then you aren't working. The things we feel with our heart, like love and hate and intangible emotions, are survival mechanisms that we've adopted over the thousands of years we homo sapiens have been around. They're brain signals, brain chemicals, stuff like that. Somewhere along the line we developed a higher meaning to our emotions, and that's what separates us from other animals. Our heart works because our brain works. Both are necessary to be contributing members of the human race.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:25 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I looked up something that might help this view-Amazing recent evidence indicates that the heart begins to beat in the unborn fetus even BEFORE the brain is formed so the heart truly holds primary status as the initiator of human life.Scientists have yet to discover what causes the human heart to automatically at birth begin beating-this is what I am talking about-the power source behind your heart.As to above answer you can chop off your limbs and still live but take out your heart (which I know is a muscle) or have your heart stop beating and you are dead.
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I can see the connection there! The heart as an organ or muscle and as a center of feeling/emotion. We all know the effects of stress on the heart. What is stress but negative emotion. The "hardening of the heart" due to unresolved stress, anger, bitterness, occurs not just in the emotional realm, things happen chemically as well as physically and can also lead to actual physical damage of the heart. This is just one of the reasons I cannot believe that all life was just a coincidence. These are signs of a design in my opinion.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 11:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Medically speaking the heart is a muscle. It can be stopped by a heart attack and still be kept going afterwards by the electrical impulses of a pacemaker. The science of the heart can be explained very succinctly and in great detail. But there is very little we know about the brain. Yet somehow, the brain stops the heart when it fails to send out the electrical nerve impulses that drive it. I think the brain is the engine that drives the body--not the heart. And certainly NOT any god.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2009