I have a cold and so does my 9 month old... anyone know of anything she or I could take to relieve this?

The doctors wont give us anything. Never much help..

BeautyUnknown

Asked by BeautyUnknown at 8:15 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Health

• cool mist humidifier, plenty of liquids, tylenol/motrin for aches and pains; that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope you and your baby feels better soon!
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 8:19 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• yes 9 months old is too young for any kind of medicine, plus there isnt much you can do for a common cold but treat the symptoms! a cool mist humidifer is great to have in the nursery. if you dont have one, steaming up the bathroom with a hot shower has the same effect. you can also attempt cleaning out the nose with a bulb syringe or saline drops (my son prefers the drops). to help her breathe you can also elevate one side of the mattress a little bit by folding a towel or blanket underneath one side. dont use tylenol unless she has a really high fever. some might suggest applying a small amt of childrens vicks vapor rub on her feet or onesie, or if you nurse, a small amt on your chest. but some babies are very sensitive to the menthol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• It's a cold. There isn't anything the Doctor could give you that you can't obtain on your own. Tylenol and Sudafed (if you have a stuffy nose) for you. Infant Tylenol for baby. Plenty of rest, lots of fluids.
    Anonymous

• Before stupid people started giving their children too much medication and killing them there were a few decongestants out there for infants, but not anymore. How hard is it to read directions and give the right amount?
    You can use baby vicks too. Otherwise the PP have answered the question well.
    Anonymous

• The doctor won't give you anything unless you have a bacterial infection. They have good reasons for doing it - I'm one of them, I'm resistant to pretty much all antibiotics because I was given them too often when I was younger. So no, they'll never give you anytyhing for a basic cold - which is why I won't even bother calling the doc, much less taking them in, when I know it's all that's wrong.

There is nothing you can give a baby for a cold. Saline up the nose to help suck out snot, if she's congested, maybe a dab of vicks on her feet with socks over, a little infant tylenol if she seems uncomfortable. For you - whatever you want from the shelf, as long as you're not breastfeeding - ask the pharmacist if you're not sure about something.
    Anonymous

• Elderberry syrup

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Hepar Sulph
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009