Is there a "doggy gate" I can get to keep my dog in (or out) of a certain area, that also has a "cat flap" or spaces wide enough for an adult (aged) cat to get through?

My old cat refuses to climb over the dog gate we use to keep the dog out of the kitchen/dining room area. This is a problem because the cat is used to going out the back door to do her business and the pet door is in the back door off the kitchen. She needs to have free run of the house, and I can't have the dog underfoot when I'm cooking, etc. I cannot and will not be picking up "cat messes" in the house (especially during the holidays with company staying over) and a litterbox is out of the question due to the layout of the house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Pets

• there are gates you can put up to keep the dog from coming in and a tiny door on it for the cat to go through. My mom has one for the same reason to keep the dogs out of the kitchen. Im not sure where she got it but just look around.
    mycheyl

Answer by mycheyl at 2:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Try getting one of those cat door's that only open to a cat with a special device on its collar. That way your cat can get through but your dog cannot.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Holy crap! They make something like that? How cool is that?!
    Anonymous

• Lol. They are pretty cool. They were originally made so stray cats couldn't come in your kitty door. I think they are about $40. Start by checking around at pet stores!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:05 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Mycheyl. THAT'S what I was looking for, something to use indoors between rooms! I wish you could find out where she got it! At least I know there is something like that made, so I will look for it. It's hard to keep looking for something if you don't even know for sure that anyone makes the item!
    Anonymous

• If you google "dog gate with cats door" a lot of options come up. I found one at walmart.com (57.00) and there were a lot more at other places too.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2009