mashed potatoes for 60 people! help!

My husband so kindly volunteered us to make mashed potatoes for 60 people at his work tomorrow and just told me about it tonight.....how many potatoes do I get? This is crazy! I am going to be peeling potatoes all night! Help!!!

meegan26

Asked by meegan26 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• search "easy way to peel potatoes" on CM, there was a video in the daiy buzz section showing how to peel a bunch easily. As for how many you need sorry but I don't know!
    Anonymous

• I would say, atleast, 10 lbs of potatoes. You can start peeling and cubing tonight. Just put in a large bowl or pot filled with cold water and leave in the fridge.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I posted one a while ago. boil the potatos whole (got a big turkey fryer?) remove and save the water. when the potatoes are cool enogh to handle use the back of a knife to scrape off the peel (it is good deep fried and salted) put the potatoes in an electric mixer, DO NOT USE a food processer!!!) mix with butter and milk then add intant potatoes to strech it out. Gordon food sevice has some and so does Costco in quantity. y ou will need about 20 pounds of finished spuds. keep warm in a crock pot or one of those roasting ovens and tell hubby you need more time than that or he should be making the potatoes!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:52 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo
    here is a link to MayAnn from Gilligans Island peeling potatoes!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:53 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Just kill your husband!
    Anonymous

• I would go instant..........Hungry Jack is the best and , it will save a lot of time.
    fraziersmom

Answer by fraziersmom at 9:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• 2 for each person and one for the pot.
    BTW, I make mashed potatoes with the skins on, sounds like something you may want to consider, unless hubby is peeling!
    Anonymous

• I'd say about 25 lbs. Boil and then peel. Only peel like 2/3 of them to cut down on time. Really want to avoid peeling then get the little red ones.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 9:32 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• I need 5 lbs of potatoes just for the 6 in my family, but that does give us a little bit leftover. I'd get at least 30 lbs, because if any have bad spots in the middle or anything, that's less and less you'll have in the end. I agree with a previous answer about stretching it out with instant potatoes though! Force your husband to help you with all of the work, and then kick his arse to kingdom come for doing something so assinine!
    Anonymous

• Try the red potatoes, they are good with skin on and small easy to cut. Try 3 per person
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2009