Stopping Breastfeeding

It's been about 8m of BF my daughter, and I just feel done with it. She has been more irritated than usual, probably teething. And she also seems to be just more clingly in general. I'm not a mother who wants to be holding the baby all of the time. I like to pass her off to husband and family and go run errands, gym, whatever. I stay at home with her and our 3 yr old full time, and am just ready to throw it in. I feel proud to have breastfed for so long, and my husband likes the increase in size...... but I am ready to stop.

anyone have a similar experience with a baby between 6 and 12 months?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 8:51 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• congratulations on reaching 8 months!! I let my son self-wean so sorry I dont have much advice for you. But in my opinion, wean slowly!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:58 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Yeah! I don't know at what age it was for each of mine, but there was a time that I was so tired of it. My advice would be to just drop one feeding. Do it really gradually, you night end up changing your mind! I kept at it and can't imagine having stopped several monthes ago with my 13 month old. I am glad I kept it up. But if you do end up weaning, doing it slowly will be much easier on both of you!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Sorry about the spelling. I am on a blackberry and have a hard time with the small keys!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• *hugs* It sounds like you are beginning to feel touched-out. Do you think you're approaching a minor burnout? How long have you felt this way? If you haven't felt like this very long, I personally would wait it out and see if that feeling goes away a little. Sometimes we just get into a funk. If it still isn't working out for you, then I suggest weaning slowly so your boobies don't hurt. good luck!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• i really feel like i need to stop. with my first baby, i cried and felt bad about stopping. this time, i do not. i just feel so frusturated when i try to feed her.... all of the wiggling, pulling away. i really feel like i can't feed her in public anymore... she just moves too much. it feels like i'm working at a topless club.

she's also a little baby, started about over 9lbs, and really hasn't grown like she should. i fought the Ped. on giving her formula, never really did (have now on occassion, no problems). So part of me also feels like she just gets hungrey and my milk can't keep up. I don't have the energy to bring it up.

Luckily I am on WIC, and will be able to receive free formula (the thought of formula still doesn't sit well with me... I will just have to get over that). If I wasn't on WIC, this wouldn't even be an option.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• Will she take the formula? My daughter self weaned at 10 months, or went on a nursing strike, whatever, I never did get her nursing well again after that. I would have gladly moved her to formula but she wouldn't take it at all, and her doctor didn't want her on whole milk so I had to try to keep nursing her even though she would just fight it. She is little too, she started off at 8 lbs and was 16 lbs at a year old. She is now a 21.5 lb 2 year old, so her slow growth apparently had nothing to do with nursing and was just genetics. Her pediatrician told me that her birth weight had more to do with the pregnancy and since then she has grown slowly because she is genetically just a petite person.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• CONGRATS! You made it a long way, my daughter is almost 11 m old and i'm still breast feeding.. i've thought about giving it up so much but i love the bonding and how easy it is.... and i would recommend going until at least a year if you could but if your done don't feel bad about it. You know she's old enough to be on solids maybe you could just cut back on the breast feeding and only feed her breastmilk at night or something instead of cutting it out completely... its up to you
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:09 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• VERY common at this age. Kudos for making it this long and trust me that it just gets easier after this though. The AAP and WHO recommend AT LEAST 2 years so longer would be better, but any little bit helps them out. Keep in mind that at this age you would have to switch to formula and that is expensive. Maybe see if you can make it a year at least and then swtich to milk instead. WIC has changed what they give in October and give MUCH less formula now so you will likely not get all that you need for her for a month from WIC for free so keep that in mind. My first weaned at 18 months and my second is still going strong at 29 months so I KNOW how it feels to get burnt out and I did several times with both of them and I am actually going through that somewhat right now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:40 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• If you are set on weaning, then just replace one feeding per week with formula until you are done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Let me tell you... weaning won't do anything about the clingy/separation anxiety phase. She's with you all day, she's going to want YOU and it doesn't matter how she's fed. I've got an 8 month old too and we're in the thicke of it... I can't even set him on the floor for two minutes or walk out of the room because he starts screaming. It's a phase and it happens no matter what.
    If you want to leave her with daddy or grandma to run errands, do it! She's not going to like it, but weaning won't change that.
    We all hit a wall... it just like with anything, you get a certain distance and feel like throwing in the towel. But to get to the really good parts, you have to push on... You say you're not 100% comfortable with formula, and can't afford it anyway... so don't use it. This phase will pass and it will get easier. Aim for that full year and if you're still feeling this way then, wean to cows milk.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2009