Regarding ADHD and my son-Does anyone know the difference between Focalin-xr and Vyvanse?

My son meds were switched fro Focalin to Vyvanse. I am just curious what the difference is. And if you know of anyone who has taken these meds what their results were?

fraziersmom

Asked by fraziersmom at 8:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Health

• Have you tried alternative treatments? There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• Vyvanse has been the BEST thing my ds has ever taken!!! He was on Adderall XR for years but when Vyvanse came out we switched him to it and all the side effects he had on the other, stopped.. He started eating again, sleeping better, the little tics stopped and he focuses and concentrates longer...
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:23 AM on Dec. 2, 2009