11 month old feeding schedule?

My son is 11 months and he still nurses every 3 hours. He also eats three meals a day with snacks in between. I am just curious if 3 hours is normal or if it should be longer? Thanks in advance :)

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 9:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds perfect, if he gets full he'll let you know and i'm guessing your not producing as much breast milk as you used to so it should all be balanced.. keep it going
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:05 AM on Nov. 25, 2009

• I honestly dont remember the exact hours between feedings with my older daughter, but she ate pretty frequentley at that age. Babies nurse for comfort, so maybe thats why he wants to nurse so often.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• By 11 months my son was nursing 5 times/day (upon waking, after each of his 3 daily meals, and then before bed). I don't know if it's normal or not, just my experience.

Answer by missanc at 9:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2009

• If he's eating all 3 meals well, as well as snacks, he could be doing it more for comfort than for nourishment. If he doesn't eat much at mealtimes, then he's doing it for nourishment. If you want him to nurse less, distract him when he wants it, cut out a session (same one every day, like a random middle of the afternoon session), or if it's within 2 hours of a meal, don't nurse him, etc. If you don't mind nursing him that often, then don't fret. If you want to try to start the weaning process, or are hoping for him to self-wean, you'll need to help it along by slowly cutting back.
    Anonymous